Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep/Stock Fencing - Help specifying  (Read 13997 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Sheep/Stock Fencing - Help specifying
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:40:17 am »
^ We had the same situation with next door's ponies, but didn't like the idea of barbed wire. To counter this, we electrified the top strand of plain wire. This was very easy to do - just thread some insulators over the wire when you mount it, and connect to an energiser. It wasn't even needed permanently - just long enough for the ponies to realize it wasn't to be leaned over!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 10:03:57 pm »
Clarke CHP1250 Heavy Duty Power Puller

Google the above, available from machine mart for about £20.  Great tool for tensioning fencing.

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 08:55:57 pm »
Cheers all!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 09:57:09 pm »
Maybe a bit late but -
few years ago I wanted Chestnut paling fence, found some at Derek Fox Timber (Preston), I was quite impressed at the range of fencing products they had, they do the netting and have a website.

Also quite a long time ago I put some sheep netting up, quite proud of myself I showed my dad, who happily pointed out it would have been better the right way up. I'd never noticed there were smaller 'squares' at the bottom  ;D .
But now I don't feel as bad, local orchard group put some up and did the same thing. ;D

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 07:45:15 am »
just doing the same thing Holleth,

i have managed to find chestnut 1/2 round posts, at 2 pounds each for 6ft, and have spaced them at 3mts,

this will be used for goats and sheep, but will have a 3 inch top rail..goats like to stand up and look  ;D
then we will put two lines of top striking wire, helen does not want to use barbed,

for the straining posts, we have used 6-7 inch x 7ft posts and i have used the chestnuts as struts too

i did work out, you can ask 10 fencing contractors 1 question and get 10 different answers  ;D

one little tip…on the straining post, add a anti slip piece of wood..this will stop the post from turning

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:56:06 am by john and helen »

susanrich93

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 07:39:44 am »
I'm near Lancaster, Lancashire  :farmer:

Did you manage it? We are in the process of buying a house with plenty of acres, problem will come when we need to fence it as we have never done it before.

Also in Lancaster.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS