Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep/Stock Fencing - Help specifying  (Read 13996 times)

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
Sheep/Stock Fencing - Help specifying
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a quote for doing 114m of stock fencing at £700 and to be honest I don't have that kind of money at the moment so I am going to have a go at doing it myself. The line is straight and goes down hill ever so slightly but evenly.

Can anyone help me specifying the stuff to do it?

I know I will need roughly 120m of stock fencing and barbed wire for the top.
posts at 2m will mean about 60

Do you think 2 straining posts (1x for each end)?

Staples... how much in weight for a job this big?

I can borrow a post knocker and spades and I'll use the land rover to keep it stretched sufficiently.

Cheers

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Sheep/Stock Fencing - Help specifying
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:43 pm »
how do you plan to tension the wires? saggy fencing is useless...

minimum of 3 strainers 1 top 1 bottom 1 middle, this also assumes you are confident lacing 2 lengths of fencing together sufficient to then strain it. if not you will need 4 top 50m down then another 50 then 20 to the last one.

always strain down hill...

usually stock fencing has a wire along the bottom and a wire above it if you want to use barbed thats fine most people for sheep prefer plain wire.

for 100m you will use a couple of kilos of staple (i buy buckets as thats the cheapest way to get them and having spares for future projects is never a bad thing)

from the point of view of price 700 is about right for that length with no gates, buying the materials and doing it yourself should be more like 300.

if you need info on straining etc please ask as i dont know what level of expertise you have.

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:52:15 pm »
Cheers

I've never done this before but have been trying to learn by looking online etc.
I had planned on making a box strainer and fastening this to the back of the defender to tighten up the fence.

Any advice on doing it would be greatfully appreciated!

I think I may go for plain wire at the top then as you suggested, it'll be easier to fit anyway ;)

Is there a place online I can buy the stuff? As I work 9-5 in an office I struggle to get to places I can buy it in person.

Many thanks

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »
where are you in the country as it makes a difference

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:46 pm »
I'm near Lancaster, Lancashire  :farmer:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:06:07 am »
Use gripples.  They are brilliant for tensioning fencing.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:24:27 am »
and ridiculously expensive

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:47:41 am »
From my limited experience, it's difficult to use a Defender to tension the fence.

You can get the initial tension on, but then lose it again when you take your foot off the accelerator and put it onto the brake. You then lose a load more when you switch to the handbrake because it works on the transmission, not the wheels.

If you have a friend who can help you to heel-toe the pedals as it were, that may help. However, the last time I did it, I threaded an iron bar through the rylock, then used a come-along hand winch attached to the parked landy (wheels chocked) to apply tension between it and the iron bar. Just something to think about, though others may have better methods!

I also bought a copy of the BTCV Fencing Handbook by Elizabeth Agate, which was well worth the money.

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:54:09 am »
having witnessed fencing tensioned by a landy vs. using monkey strainers (i use monkey strainers) i wouldn't use anything else again, my problem is the monkey strainer means you can actually go too tight!!!!

best 45 quid i ever spent

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Strainer-Monkey-Cattle-Fence-Stretcher-Tensioner-Repair-Pull-Fence-/141160472509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ddd1dfbd

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:26:22 pm »
I can recommend:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Stock-Fencing-Andy-Radford/dp/1847976131/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427286335&sr=1-1&keywords=stock+fencing

Will help you spec out all the bits you need and tells u how to put it all together :)

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 08:12:49 pm »
Cheers folks!

When they speak of a bottom straining wire, are they refferring to a wire below the netting?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:18 pm »
yes

you put it in after strainers an before posts gives you a straight line to work too and stops anything squeezing under the netting as well...

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 08:50:30 pm »
Ah cheer Bloomer, I presume it isn't normally seen then as it is so low? I just thought in my head when I have been studying fences I couldn't see any.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 08:35:16 am »
You will probably be able to hire all you need from a tool hire shop.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:04 am »
Just one thought ... if at any time there will be cattle next to this fence then I recommend barbed top strand .... cows just tend to lean over wire to reach ... and continue to lean till then have demolished it!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS