Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig ear tags  (Read 21587 times)

Sarah

• Joined May 2008
Re: Pig ear tags
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 11:07:17 pm »
Thanks for those, I am going to try bacon this time but might leave sausages until next time as I am planning to put a mincer/sausage stuffer on our wedding list this summer!
The butcher we are using this time will make sausages for 80p a pound but doesn't do bacon. I'm gong to ask for the casings though, am I right in thinking I can freeze them?

I was reading some bacon recipes that were talking about re salting the bacon daily and draining off the liquid, but the leaving it in the fridge sounds much better.

I was also reading about saltpetre and how it can be dangerous (not just in bombs Mr Ree!) as it can be toxic and potentially carcinogenic. The site said that most butchers now use an alternative but didn't say what it was! I will post it if I find out.
I suppose that you can find a website claiming health risks with almost any substance though... :o)
There seems to be a lot of contradiction, one person seemed to be saying that you could use the stuff you get from garden centres instead of foodgrade saltpetre! Don't think I will be trying that.

Thanks for the link rustyme, that looks like the kind of job Will would love, he's just a big scout at heart!

I rang the butcher and gave him my wish list for cuts etc, I gave him a list based on yours Hilarysmum,  he seemed to think I was a bit mad though. I am just hoping that there will be enough room in the freezer for all the piggy bits.

Just tagging to be done this weekend and they are off at 7 on Monday night.

Had an inspection from trading standards yesterday, apparently we have excellent animal welfare and very good paperwork!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 08:21:18 am »
Good luck for Monday, Sarah.  Yes you can freeze skins.  Ask at the chemist for the alternative to salt petre or try

http://www.sausagemaking.org/

Postage is free in UK but horrendous to France.  Their forum is a useful source of recipes.

If you use a piece of belly for your first attempt at bacon its not quite such a loss if it goes wrong.  Although it shouldnt.

HM

applepigs

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:21:27 pm »
We are about to send our first pigs off to slaughter and have worked out we need metal ear tags, thanks to you all.  But...which number are we putting on the tag?  Also we have heard of mobile slaughtermen who can come to your farm and do it all there with no tags.  Is this legal in UK?

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
Kelchums.co.uk is about 75 % cheaper than supplies for smallholdings.

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 10:17:42 pm »
Hi,

As mentioned on the other post, please use a calculator, if the budget doesnt run to one we will gladly post one to you FOC ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 08:24:15 am »
50-80 pence is ok. the ketums site does not give a price. if you only want a couple try your feed merchents. SFS do you do the pliers to go with the tags.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 09:20:57 am »
Hi Paul,

Yes we do the pliers to go with the Qwiksilver tags - Pliers are priced at £12.10 including Vat.

Management numbering can also be printed on the tags at no extra charge.

Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
SFS tags are very good   Even allowing for postage to France they were still far cheaper than buying direct here.  (Brittany)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:20 pm »
Supplies I would like a calculator please I will forward you my address could you please make it a solar powered one so that i do not need to buy batterys as i have no budget pmsl

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 09:30:11 pm »
Dear Mr. D.Hens

Thank You, I got the pm with your address - I will pop a calculator in the post for you tomorrow.

I dont think a solar powered one would be much use for you though. as:

a) It won't get enough light from a single candle to make it work, and
b) I've already determined you are a canny man with an eye for a bargain, so it will be a poundland special to suit your tastes ;-)

Have a great night

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS