Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treat for the pigs today!  (Read 3031 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Treat for the pigs today!
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:50:05 pm »
Our pigs are booked in on 23rd November - 6 of them are going and 4 staying behind.

Their pen is very big but having been in there for a few months, is totally trashed. they were almost belly depe in mud ... so today, I opened up half an acre for them  ;D

They'll just be in here for the next couple of weeks but i noticed when they came out that they are HUGE compared to how they looked in the other pen ... they must have sunk!

I tied a cabbage to a long rope and swung it round in circles while they chased it screaming with excitement! Then we played a bit of chase, had some belly scratches and I did a carrot, swede and apple treasure hunt for them.

When I went back a couple of hours later they were sparko in the sun  ;D. Happy, happy pigs! I'm so glad we have 3 that will stay for breeding as I need my piggy fix!! :love: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Treat for the pigs today!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »
"I'm so glad we have 3 that will stay for breeding as I need my piggy fix!! "

Yes every pig should have to come with a government health warning "PIGS ARE VERY ADDICTIVE"

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »
sounds like they are having fun!
Little Blue

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »
I tied a cabbage to a long rope and swung it round in circles while they chased it screaming with excitement! Then we played a bit of chase, had some belly scratches and I did a carrot, swede and apple treasure hunt for them.

Yep, you're addicted, allright!!  ;D
Never thought of swinging cabbages, will try that next time!

Eve  :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:42:04 pm »
I am totally addicted, my OH thinks I'm mad! To me, Daisy is the most beautiful, perfect, intellectual pig in all of the world (I like to tell her on a daily basis!) and she has very pretty eyes and lovely soft ears! I hope I never have a life without pigs! :pig: :love:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »
I want to come and live at your place. Sounds great!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:10:37 pm »
It's a bit muddy right now Tudful, and so misty you can't see the end of the drive! Winter is here!! ;D

wizz

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:36:34 pm »
What a fab playtime story! Only had mine since beg of Sept & wish I had more land but can say we played football with our two with the kids which they thought was great !

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:33:43 pm »
Wizz, depending on the size of your kids/pigs a spot of hog riding is REALLY funny  ;) My girls were 3 and 4 when they tried it with a couple of Tamworth cross weaners - watch the kids slowly creep up behind the pigs and promply fall face first in the mud when they try to get on their backs........sooooooo funny ! Or maybe it's just me and my warped sense of humour  ;D ;D ;D
I have to point out that no pigs were hurt in any of the fun and games (and the kids only suffered from muck encrusted clothing, skin and hair for a wee while lol!) ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:51:17 pm »
Love the tales - don't have pigs but sounding tempting - my only funny story from today - silly big lamb, head stuck in stock fencing, last time took OH one side and me on the other to free this evening, 'crunchie' time, just me, mobbed by the others, virtually climbing my back, a gentle reversing action and straight to the trough - moral of the story - free at crunchie time!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS