Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dorkings wanted  (Read 2087 times)

Tino

• Joined Jan 2010
Dorkings wanted
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:22:55 pm »
Does anyone know of any breeders of Dorking chickens. I live in Leicestershire but i am more than willing to travel. What price can i expect to pay per bird?

Many thanks Tino

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Dorkings wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:44 pm »
I live near Dorking, thought I'd keep Dorkings as they were a 'local' breed and found it incredibly difficult to find any!!  Most breeders seemed to be up north somewhere.  Those localish to me seemed to be charging about £45 a bird.  I ended up hatching eggs from e-bay, with varying degrees of success (0 from 6 to 5 from 6)  and now have the grand total of 3 pol hens and 3 cocks.  Probably would have been cheaper to pay the money and get an adult but far less fun!
www.poultry.allotment.org.uk has lists of breeders in different areas.
Sorry this isn't much help, but good luck!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:30 am »
Hiya, I'm pretty sure harmony poultry in Dumfries had some running around when we went to collect our Welsummers. That's still quite a trek, but they do hatching eggs as well.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »
we are between doncaster and scunthorpe
we have justed hatched a batch of dorkings 3 male 1 female.... however we have more eggs in the incubator.

We usually hatch through the year, and we charge £12 at 6 weeks plus £1 per week thereafter

Tino

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:14 pm »
Hello Smiffy,

How many eggs have you got in the incubator? Im after about six females so if all goes well i would love to buy some birds off you.

Thanks very much Tino

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS