Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Caring for a broody goose  (Read 4072 times)

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
Caring for a broody goose
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:43:15 pm »
So one of my 1 yr old embden's has finally gone broody, she's nested up about 12 eggs and feathered it over the last few days, she is sitting on it for short periods but if there is any noise outside of her shed she storms out to check it out and then wanders around for a good 20min before heading back, I've seen her do this 4 times today.

Its been suggested i should pen her up so she can't leave the eggs (she has water for drinking and bathing and food all near her nest)?

Or try and find an incubator and take over?  Or will it be too late?

The gander and the other goose are still sleeping in the shed where her nest is should i move them instead?

All wisdom and opinions appreciated!!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Caring for a broody goose
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:57:06 pm »
No problem with her leaving them for 20 mins, sometimes they'll wander off for an hour.

An egg which is up to incubation temperature, especially a large egg like a goose takes quite a while to cool down internally, so although the shell may feel cold to the touch  its still pretty warm inside.

My only concern would be thats its maybe still a bit early yet for the eggs to have good fertility.

If you're feeling brave in a week or so it might be worth candling them at night  :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:58:45 pm by Clansman »

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
We keep geese.

I'd be keen to take maybe 4 of the eggs and incubate if you really want to.  Not worth buying an incubator for though, borrow if you don't have.  Do it when she's off an preoccupied.  Otherwise let her do what she wants, she doesn't want you interfering - at all.  Let them sleep where they want etc and I wouldn't fence her in, just let them do what they want, that's what's natural to them. 

Maybe if she's a first timer she's nervous and doesn't really know what she's supposed to be doing, she may settle as the days go by.

Let us know how you go muddy.  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:38:18 am »
My only other concern would be she's young to sit yet - the breeders I got my first geese from recommended never letting a one year old sit because they once lost one of that age. They have much better body fat by their second year - and their eggs are a better size too.

H

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 06:49:35 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies.

My instinct was just to leave her to it so thanks for confirming that!!

I know it can be a bit chancy with a 1 yr old but she is very tame and will feed from my hand so I hope that will mean I'll be able to keep her eating. :fc:

I'll keep you updated, but she's currently continuing to sit so we'll see!

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:43:49 pm »
So, we are on day 30 and there are definite sounds of pipping.  She's sat really well, has been hand fed and watered evening and morning and has popped off for a short bit everyday.  I'll be really interested to see how many hatch. (not to mention ridiculously over excited  :excited: )

So the next question is, should i then keep her and goslings separate from mr Gander and other goose (who is building her own stash and seems to be paying a lot of no aggressive attention to sitting goose and her hatchers)?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »
^ Yes, I would.

Chances are the other geese / gander will be ok with the goslings, but it only takes a minute's grumpiness to cause a tragedy!  If you can keep them within sight / sound of each other, but just separate, that will help with their eventual re-integration.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 04:06:17 pm »
So exciting!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS