Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poulet Goulois Table Birds  (Read 4731 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Poulet Goulois Table Birds
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:01:55 pm »
I have some Poulet Goulois Table Birds in the incy.
Had some last year along with some Farm rangers but the fox killed the lot  :rant:

They are lighter and healthier than Farm rangers and Ross Cobbs only making about 2.2kg
I was going to grow a few on last year to see how they lay and maybe breed some.

Anyone got any experiance with them ?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
Re: Poulet Goulois Table Birds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:33:17 am »
Hi Dave,
I've got a flock of about 25 but it's my first time doing them. They develop a lot faster than any British breed and hens can start breeding in their first year. If you get the right strain, they are the ultimate utility bird. They should be mega hardy so if you are getting a lot of health issues you may want to look at introducing another bloodline. The size of your progeny comes from the hen so get rid of any spindly small hens and keep the fat ones.
Robin

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:27:32 am »
Thanks for the info Robin,
So are they a pure Breed ?
I thought they are a hybrid table bird.
Also do they breed true ?

They are similar in stature to my La Bresse Galoiuse only brown in colour.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:32:11 am by Dave C »

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »
Hi Dave,
Sorry, I've been a complete muppets, thought you were on about your La Bresse Gauloise, sorry mate! I must have read your post half asleep.

Incidentally, how are you getting on with them?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »
Doing well thanks

Egg laying is excellent.
Got 20 eggs due to hatch and putting 9 under a broody tonight, so hopefully will have a few cock birds for the table. 

How are yours doing mate ?

These poulet Galouise look just the same but brown  :thinking:

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 06:59:36 am »
Yes, I have come across them before. S&T Poultry do them, just googled them and recall seeing them on their website. I'm guessing that it was developed by Sasso. Being French, I imagine it's going to be pretty good.

My La Bresse venture is going a bit slower than I would have liked as I've been really ill the last few months but I've got some things going. I've recently put 20 in an incubator and another 10 under 2 broody bantams. Just bought an 80 egg incubator so going to start collecting for that soon. Turning a shipping container into a brooder at the moment and then need to drag my old chicken tractor out of the woods. It's been sat there about 20 years, I used to use it for my OEG bantams. It's quite big and will be used to pasture the fowl until they are big enough not to be taken by the red kites.

They are indeed amazing layers, lovely cream - flesh coloured eggs. Both my bloodlines seem to lay later on in the day. I haven't had any go broody yet. Beautiful looking birds with the big red comb, white feathers, blue legs and the exaggerated chest of the cock.

Do you dispatch and dress the birds yourself?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:52:20 pm »
Yes I will be processing myself as I have with other breeds, haven't done any La Bresse yet as only had them since autumn last year and looking to build up my flock this year, but should have a few cocks for the table.

How do you find them as meat birds ?

Yes S&T is where I got these from just wondered how other folk found them. 

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:52:13 pm »
I haven't had mine that long so this spring will be my first hatching. The breeders I got them from both said that their meat was amazing. They just free ranged them, with no special ration. Judging by the weight of my birds, I think they are going to produce really well sized table birds. They are not the biggest of table birds, it's all about flavour. I've spent a lot of time in France and the chicken out there is always amazing.

Are you putting yours on any particular ration?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:35:36 am »
No mine are free range as well but I might contain the a bit the last 2 weeks.
I know traditionally the French finish them on bread and milk but I'll just see how the first batch turn out first.

Looking forward to seeing how they fair against these Label Rouge type bought in meat birds.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:42:48 am by Dave C »

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 06:03:29 am »
I'm guessing they should be pretty similar size wise I.e around 2-2.5kg carcass but a quicker time for the poulet Gaulois, taste will be an interesting comparison.

I've seen the epinettes (cages) that the La Bresse are put in to fatten and I don't really like the idea of it. Confining them to bring them on a bit further, like you would geese or a few cockerels years ago , yes, but this isn't much better than battery farming. If you were to do them commercially, the public over here would have serious issues with it.

Bread and milk. A local bakery perhaps? Could use milk replacer left over from lambing?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:44 pm »
Yes, when i say i contain them they will be in a 20' square pen on fresh grass for about the last 10 days
which is smaller than there usual free range i supose.

im just going to finish them the same as ever, on Growers, mixed corn and scraps from the kitchen and veg patch and see how they compare to others i have done.

When you say you have 2 blood lines, how offtern do you mix the 2, about every 5 generations ?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:33:01 am »
Sorry for my late reply, I've been dealing with some rather weak lambs all week. Mixing milk replacer and trying to get them to feed every 4 hours has taken up a lot of time!

Yes, I intend to refresh each bloodline about every 5 generations. So with each bloodline's progeny, use the best cockerel back onto the breeding hen and the cock onto the best hen.

I put 79 eggs in the incy a couple of days ago, fingers crossed. A mixture of mainly La Bresse, some La Bresse x Jubilee Game, some Brahma x Indian Game, some Buff Orpingtons and some Coronation Sussex. I'll have to check my dates but I think I've got a small batch ready this weekend and another early next week.

Have you had any experience with Indian Game?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 12:51:07 pm »
I don't but the La Bresse x IG is a cross I like the sound of and have looked into getting some dark IG.
The problem is finding quality IG these days, do you breed your own ?

Look forward to hearing how these crosses finish
You seem to have similar plans to me, but you are a good year or so ahead of me  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:52:49 pm by Dave C »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS