Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Johnes disease?  (Read 3478 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Johnes disease?
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:11:50 pm »

last september, one of our 8 pygmy goats wasted and died with no diagnosis from the vet. We thought perhaps it was rear dental as she kept getting wet hay clogged in her mouth and had sores on her tongue. She was up and acting normally and eating til she died. It was very distressing and baffling.

We now, six months later have another goat who has gone painfully thin despite eating normally.

I am starting to suspect Johnes disease and wondered if anyone here has any experience of doing blood tests on their herd? I need to know a ball park cost so that I can consider testing my animals.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Johnes disease?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:04:41 pm »
The lab fees may be set but other fees incurred will vary between Vets. Phone your Vet and ask is the best idea. Blood tests, faeces and PM tests are all possibilities. If your goat does die a proper PM could be invaluable to the rest of the herd.

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:52 pm »
We have bred our goats but first and foremost they are pets. It is hard to confront the fact there may be a contagious disease infiltrating our herd  :'(

I will call up and book a blood test tomorrow  :(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:20:43 pm »
From what I have heard the blood test is not that reliable, you best to chat about it with your vet and if he isn't sure the Goat Veterinary Society would be helpful I am sure. I think the only certain is the post mortem test...

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »

Ah ok. Thanks for that .. I believe there are a couple of vaccines aswell so will find out more tomorrow.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »
As I understand it the only definitive diagnosis is PM I am afraid. The next most reliable method is by faecal PCR test and also blood tests can be done. One suggestion, cost permitting is getting them all faecal and blood tested.  As I understand the are first and foremost pets depending on what the results are and what your vet recommends you there are ways that Johnes can be "managed" / contained and (hopefully) eradicated from the herd involving splitting of positive and negative animals, 6 monthly testing, "snatching" animals at birth and artificially rearing, management of buildings and land as Johnes can be persistent in the environment (faeces?) for 12 months I believe.  I read something about this in managing Johnes in a commercial beef herd using these techniques in an ADAS bulletin and they may be safely adaptable to your setup following guidance from your vet   As you say a vaccine is available so is worth looking into.  Good luck!

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:36:09 pm »
Thank you very much.

My vet recommends fecal testing in. The first instance.

I will keep this thread updated incase this experience helps anybody else with unexplained wasting in their herd.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 05:39:14 am »
Check B vitamin levels too xx

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:09:33 pm »
Hi, thought  you might be interested in my experience of johnes disease, I bought an Anglo Nubian as an in kid doe, first kidding. She appeared well in all aspects until she kidded and then over a period of a few months, ate well but lost weight continually. I spoke to my then vet, I'd read a lot and between us we felt that johnes was a distinct possibility.
This concerned me because she had been living with my other goats in a covered yard. I had her euthanased and tested and the diagnosis was johnes. Non of my other goats got it and they were all with me until they were old ladies, so fingers crossed and if you lose. One have it tested.  :fc:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:07:08 am »
What was the outcome? [member=9577]Luce747[/member]

I've just started another thread with same title

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:08:41 am by mojocafa »
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS