Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quail  (Read 3182 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Quail
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:47:30 pm »
Having considered quail for a few months now i have finally decide, that i would like a trio or a quad. before i make any hardfast decisions, i want to check some facts, again this means another of my huge lists of questions (sorry :) )
What breeds are best as layers?
What should i feed them?
What price should i be looking at paying, and for what ages?

Thanks
Cameron  :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Quail
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:59:45 pm »
we feed ours chicken layers pellets (some people recommend  crushing them up first, but ours managed perfectly well !) & crushed maize, cereals.
Japanese quail (cortornix) are good layers, and fairly hardy, but they won't lay during the winter.
Get them as young as possible, this way they'll get more used to you and reduce the risk of escaping, and bear in mind they have a much shorter life span than chooks.
as for prices... you're better to check locally as it will vary! Are you wanting eggs? day olds? layers?!

Katie Thears book on quail is quite informative, or an internet search of 'corturnix' or 'quail'  - You can buy eggs from 'Game for anything' site. There are also some forums with good information pages.

hope that helps...
Little Blue

syde house chooks

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »
Hello ,
I am very lucky that my local pet food store sells sacks of quail food. It seems to be a mix of chick crumb, small seeds such as millett etc, this is down in Leicestershire. Mine are cortunix, who laid well in the summer but aren't laying while it is so cold. Last year I had them inside and the heatlamps were on for young chickens so they laid more then, so the little amount of heat seemed to help.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:34:53 pm »
Are you wanting eggs? day olds? layers?!
, i perhaps should have mentioned this in my origional paragraph, i am  going to go fo layers, or at least very close to layers, possibly a breeding trio, i'm not sure yet

Thabks for the replies

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:16:09 pm »
get jumbo or giant jap quail thay lay loads of eggs and the cocks are a bit bigger for eating as they hatch dead easy  theres not a load of meat on these but even less on ordinary jap quail... i had them got fed up with them too many eggs too small and the eaters as well, rather have a chicken but others like quail... shed has to be rat proof, rats will pull the legs off though a wire floor, and door neeeds to be bolt proof ie as soon as you open the door some will fly out and you wont get them back. one of mine flew 75yards straight into a brick wall, stunned itself.... they reckon giant/jumbo can reach 12ozs, ive never heard of anyone that has done that... there is a quail forom cotrinoux or something like that.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »
corturnixcorner
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS