Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sneezy hens  (Read 2320 times)

gillyp

• Joined Jan 2010
Sneezy hens
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:35:05 pm »
One of my bantam hens died suddenly and I heard another one sneeze this morning - does anyone know what it could be

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Sneezy hens
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »
sorry to hear one of your bantams has died.
our  :chook: sneeze now and again.when we first got our  :chook: i got one or two books
to educate myself on them, apparently like us  :chook: can be prone to the odd cold or two,
so maybe the death of your bantam could have been something else.
again sorry bout your bantam, but from exp i wouldnt be too concerned about them sneezing
as long as they are well feed,watered etc.
welcome to t.a.s.f its fab :chook:
Langdon ;)

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »
Hi Gilly
I'm sorry to hear about your bantam. Like Langdon, my chickens also sneeze sometimes, but I don't think it's anything to worry about, unless they exhibit other symptoms like not eating etc.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:03:02 am »
any discharge or manky eyes. just watch them.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:20:41 am »
Mine have done the same before.  I think they may have has Infectious Bronchitis, which as far as I'm aware can affect the number of eggs thay lay in the future as it damages their egg producing bits (very technical!).  They can also lay some odd shaped eggs with wavey shells.  I had a couple that died, but the rest pulled through and are all fine now.  If you read about IB in chicken books they take it far too seriously so don't give yourself I fright if you read up on it.

I don't know if that is what your hens have, but I'm just sharing my experience.  All my hens are fine now and we have some unusual looking eggs.  I think Infectious Bronchitis is a very general term that covers colds coughs and sneezes.  Someone with more knowledge may be able to elaborate more.

Put extra straw in the nest boxes and I know Dogandjo would suggest buying Citricidal as a good pick me up tonic - I keep meaning to buy some as it sounds like good stuff.  Also put a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water.

Good Luck

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:46:03 pm »
you can get a blue powder antibiotic to put in the water. but just wait and see. its normal to lose the odd one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS