Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: These girls can!  (Read 3635 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
These girls can!
« on: March 08, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »
Well, I wasn't quite sure what to expect yesterday afternoon, but I loaded up the car with 4 wheels, a selection of spindles, fleece and tops, niddy noddy and nostepinne, and set off to the Girl Guides 'Wool and Wheat Weekend' at our local Organic Research Centre.

I'd been told I had 5 teenage Guides interesting in spinning.  My spinning pals were all were tied up at a spinning retreat, so I'd volunteered myself.

I had 3 hours.  The boss lady said she hoped we'd all be able to make and knit something!  My target was to get them all to make something we could call yarn; if we got any as far as plying, I'd be delighted.   Gulp.

I hope I shall not again underestimate teenage girls.

They were fantastic.  Their yarns were so much fun, I actually think I want to make some art yarns myself now!

All made yarn, several decided to keep them as necklaces/headbands but two wanted to knit them up.  We didn't have knitting needles (I honestly hadn't dreamed they'd get this far!) so we found some pencils and improvised :D

I am totally zonked today, but I have to say I found the whole experience most uplifting!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: These girls can!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:17:23 pm »
It sounds great and a real achievement in the short time that you had. Well done  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:42:26 pm »
Excellent.  :thumbsup:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 01:46:35 pm »
well done you. Those are really lovely yarns. I do hope they maintain their interest
Is it time to retire yet?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:47:45 pm »
They did ask about how much wheels cost to buy, which was a positive indication! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:05:09 am »
I've been asked if I would be interested in a group that is possibly being set up to do crafts with the local branch of MIND, the help group for people with mental health issues. I thought I might try some spinning and also some needle felting.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:04:31 am »
Oh, that's a great idea, Lesley!  A lot of us say you should be able to get spinning on the NHS, and I know a lot of people who feel it helps them combat depression.  If your local group works well, we may find we all get contacted by our local MIND organisations!

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 10:45:19 am »
Hi Sally
Well done

I agree with spinning combating depression

SV

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 12:14:23 am »
Absolutely.

wrigglefingers

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:24:48 pm »
I've been asked if I would be interested in a group that is possibly being set up to do crafts with the local branch of MIND, the help group for people with mental health issues. I thought I might try some spinning and also some needle felting.

That is a great Idea, Lesley. We tried it in Coventry at school as a wind-down activity for students and it worked very well. Unfortunately, as ever, the funding ran out and school needed the classroom for ever more computers, but it was worth the trial. Starting with spindles is the best idea as we found there was less frustration involved in the early days.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:54 pm »
As I put the drop in drop spindling, trying to show them that would only be useful for its entertainment value. We don't have to worry too much about funding as we're all volunteering but we will try for grants for some equipment. I have loads of fleeces, of course, since I can never say no to one.

Just waiting for it to be up and running now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS