Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Human pregnancy & sheep  (Read 4393 times)

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
Human pregnancy & sheep
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:07:23 pm »
Hello all!

So with lambing starting here it got me thinking....last year I got married and I'll be thinking of trying for children in the next year or two but I know pregnant women should avoid pregnant ewes and newborn lambs. 

Currently I have a small flock of about 25 ewes which live just down the road from me at my parents' farm.  I'm in charge of the sheep but my parents have some experience with sheep and I'm training up my non-farming husband in sheepy management - currently he's used for 'grunt' work like wrestling the sheep while I drench them etc!

Anyone here kept sheep while pregnant?   I'm sure my family could collectively cope with lambing if I was pregnant but I was wondering how everyone else coped in this situation?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Human pregnancy & sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:22:48 pm »
Being around lambing sheep is a really bad idea, I would imagine that vaccinating the flock in advance of your breeding date (!) would reduce zoonotic risk to you so worth considering. My advice would be: be super paranoid and then be careful. 

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:45:38 pm »
Being around lambing sheep is a really bad idea, I would imagine that vaccinating the flock in advance of your breeding date (!) would reduce zoonotic risk to you so worth considering. My advice would be: be super paranoid and then be careful.

Which vaccines would you suggest, as I believe abortion in ewes can be caused by several different things?  I can easily keep well away from lambing sheep completely, as I don't live on farm and family members could pick up my work.  Husband could keep dirty clothes and boots at the farm, so wouldn't bring anything home that way either.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:51:50 pm »
Yes loads of things, two that you can do something about are EAE and Toxoplasmosis (both can cause disease in people/abortions). Vaccines from your Vet, Toxo is pricey but immunity lasts a good while.
Get a good disinfectant for hubby at the farm gate and again at the house door, FAM is good kills everything - even rubber on wellies (owch)

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 05:58:44 pm »
Yes loads of things, two that you can do something about are EAE and Toxoplasmosis (both can cause disease in people/abortions). Vaccines from your Vet, Toxo is pricey but immunity lasts a good while.
Get a good disinfectant for hubby at the farm gate and again at the house door, FAM is good kills everything - even rubber on wellies (owch)

Thanks  :thumbsup: will speak to our vet about it in the not-too-distant future too

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:05:09 pm »
Be aware that even handling hubby's clothing when he has been with lambing ewes is a danger...

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:18:56 pm »
Alternatively, put the 'tup' in to time baby to arrive before lambing to avoid ever being pregnant at lambing time.
I had an exceptionally stressful lambing as night lamber one year as the farmers pregnant daughter decided to visit the farm for lambing time. Risky enough, but the farm had confirmed enzootic abortion since the previous year! Paranoid extreme cleaning on coming in and out the house and I believe all was well, but helluva pressure on me!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:21:16 pm »
Be aware that even handling hubby's clothing when he has been with lambing ewes is a danger...

From bitter experience I can tell you that it is a really good excuse to get hubby to do his own laundry

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:14 pm »

From bitter experience I can tell you that it is a really good excuse to get hubby to do his own laundry

Yes, lambing clothes wouldn't even come in contact with me - they would be left at parents' farm house and my poor mother would probably do the washing!  Husband might not even do much/any of the lambing, as my parents have far more experience than him so would probably leave it to the old folks.  I can avoid the farm house and sheep fields completely. 

My sheep are pregnant from late October/November and lamb in March/April.  Just to clarify, if I was pregnant during those months should I avoid the sheep for the whole 5 months or just avoid them during lambing in March/April?

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 09:50:31 pm »
I found this which might help:

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/zoonoses/lambing.htm

Also has a link for further info within it.

Planning your pregnancy is sensible but if you don't get pregnant straight away you're faced with avoiding getting pregnant for a while to avoid coinciding with lambing again. 

Good luck!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS