Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese laying habits  (Read 1925 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Geese laying habits
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »
This is our first year with geese, and I cannot quite find in my books an answer to the following.:

Do I have to provide nesting material? Mine are on a grassy patch, no bushes/hedges etc, just electric netting. They have deep bedding inside their shed, but so far no signs of trying to build a nest. I have to shut the door during the day if they are out as otherwise crows would have a free-for-all. I was hoping she would start to build a nest inside and lay early in the morning? What time of day do geese lay?

I am not planning on letting her sit on any eggs this year.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: Geese laying habits
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:59:25 pm »
Mine tend to lay early. The girls have scraped a hollow next to a wall outside. I put some hay in the area for them to arrange. It also keeps the eggs off the mud. They have laid a few here and usually head for the nest when let out. I have left a dummy egg in there. I have also put a couple of shallow tubs with hay inside their shed for if they have to lay before letting them out. Yesterday we had one in the inside tub (the first time they have used this) and one on the floor and cracked (the hens had scrambled egg for breakfast!).

Helen

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:07:01 pm »
The ones we had as a child used to lay in various points around their field, and I remember having to "suit up" with a dustbin lid and a broom in order to get the eggs - we took the majority of the eggs for population control. They used to lay against walls or in bushes, no nesting materials needed. Docks and brambles were popular

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:25:25 pm »
Ours are very well behaved. They lay in the shelters we've provided for the purpose. We give them plenty of straw to make nests with and they hide the eggs deep in the straw when they've finished. They usually lay their eggs first thing in the morning with the odd one a bit later but I can usually collect them after I've finished feeding the pigs at about 10am.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »
So maybe I shouldn't let them out first thing, but wait until 10 or so?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:48:58 pm »
Mine lays any time of day. Either in their shed  (straw) or scraped out hole with dry grass as bedding. They always hide their eggs under bedding. But that doesn't stop the dog sneaking and stealing them! Brave/stupid dog.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:08:52 pm »
So maybe I shouldn't let them out first thing, but wait until 10 or so?
I let ours out first thing. They'll either have laid before I get there or sometimes will come out for a stretch and go back.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:41:19 pm »
Mine lay anytime during the day or night, in the shed and they steel all the straw bedding to build a nest

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS