Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Feeding  (Read 2255 times)

Baswold

• Joined Jan 2010
Pig Feeding
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:25:37 am »
Hi being new to pigs just a couple of questions on feeding. Reading previous posts I see the norm is 1 pound of food per each month of age so that would be 0 to 4 weeks 1 pound each pig per day, 4 to 8 weeks 2 pound per pig per day etc. These pigs will be free range on pasture do you adjust as you would for fruit and veg ie 3 pound F&V per pound of processed food and if so what adjustment for grazing would be made.
Many thanks.
PS - This site is a mine of information WELL DONE to all concerned.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Pig Feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:31:53 am »
Hello

We make no allowance for grazing; as it can be so variable what they can glean from an area. All our pigs are free range all year and unless they are getting veg extras then they get their full normal ration;more in the winter esp if it's a harsh one.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:36:45 am »
I'm the same as gavo
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:40:55 pm »
We allow 1lb per day per month of age up to 5 lbs after which we keep them at 2.5 kilos per day until slaughter.  We do feed masses of veg in the winter, which we reduce as the weather gets warmer.  It works for us.  I have always understood that with the exception of kune kunes pigs do not get any real feed value from grazing.  Of course the act of ripping up the grass provides hours of fun, and loads of exercise as well as satisfying their natural needs to do so.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS