Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: busy bees  (Read 8453 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
busy bees
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »
we are hoping to get some bees in some time,
could anyone point us in the right direction as what is the right way to go about this,
the only frustrating thing is the cost of it! or does any one else know different!!!! ;)
where can we find hives at suitable prices or has anyone ever made their own
any help or advice will be great. ta
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: busy bees
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »
join a local beekeepers society?
And always keep an eye out for bargain ads!
Little Blue

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »
Hello,

have a look at:

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/html/downloadsindex.html

where you will find manuals & plans.

John

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:11:45 pm »
do u keep bees little blue-what a name!!
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:01 pm »
not yet.. I have a hive and nearly all the gear.  Last summer I was screwed by the company supposed to be supply the nucleus of bees...
So when I have the money, and/or contacts, I WILL have bees!!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:17 pm »
my uncle used to keep bees here at the farm.  He used to tell me all about them, and my granny  screaming when she was chased round the garden by them.  Because it was war time, and sugar was rationed, he used to get a sugar ration for them.  I have always fancied the idea of keeping bees - my uncle said I would need a great deal of patience to be successful.

My neighbour up the lane kept bees for many years until he was in his eighties.  Sold his honey in the local shops.  I remember he had to come and collect some of his bees which had swarmed and landed on a tree trunk.  It was amazing to see them - although I looked from a distance!!

The cost is off putting - seen one hive for £200, and you need quite a lot of equipment etc. to get started.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:01 am »
http://www.fragile-planet.co.uk/index.php

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/thorne/shop/springer?ACTION=SHOP&THISPAGE=page10002.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

Hello ,
     the above links are for a couple of bee supply places.  The top one does a complete kit , everything from the hive, suit, smoker,to the bees , all for £399.....that to me is a lot of money , and I could never afford that much . But it does have everything you need to start beekeeping . You also have to remember that a lot of the stuff will last for years , and is more or less a one off purchase.
 I was very lucky and got all my 6 hives off of freecycle. I also got a complete suit, a couple of smokers , loads of spare supers and frames , a couple of feeders and other bits and bobs. ..... very lucky indeed , but it goes to show that you can be lucky . I was also lucky in that a swarm moved into an empty hive on it's own ....
 You can make your own hives and you don't have to stick to the normal national type hive . You could go for a top bar hive system :

http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm

hope this helps a bit ...
cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »
I start my beekeeping course this very evening!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 09:27:03 pm »
In my experience, DO NOT use fragile planet, use thornes!!  Or the 2nd hand market.
However, with the problems of colony collapse, varroa etc, it could be a risk using old frames and hives...

Rosemary - please, share with us what you learn on your course! 
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »
ooh yes, we want to hear all about the bee keeping course!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 09:11:45 pm »
Find out about your local beekeepers group and go on a couple of apiary visits in the summer with them. Usually very friendly  and knowledgeable.

However you will need to buy quite a bit of kit beforehand. I got my hives from beekeepers who had to give up and gave a reasonable donation to the beekeepers group in exchange. However be careful with hives that are advertised in the local paper or similar, as often their health status etc might be compromised. It is better (and safer for you and beekeeping in general) if you get your hives through a beekeepers group or have them checked over before you buy/get them. (Also hives get stolen quite regularly at the moment, and sold on where... to whom...)

Given the last few bad summers and a number of diseases that are around at the moment, nuclei or hives are very thin on the ground, so you will have to be patient. Maybe you could team up with an (older?) beekeeper and assist him/her for couple of years in exchange for some honey and learning how to manage bees, and then a nucleus will come your way a lot easier...

Also bees and beekeeping are not for everyone! Find out before you have your own bees and made quite a significant investment in kit! You will need a good couple of hours per week  from April to September to check through your hives and deal with any swarms immediately, I check mine on hot days at least three times a day (they are in my field so can do easily).

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 03:28:33 pm »
My aunt bought a hive in disrepair quite cheaply and got her son in law to repair it. It might be a cheaper option if you are a handy person.

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:45 pm »
We're doing equipment next week. We did bee biology this week. Very interesting - and great notes supplied. I think Dunblane and Stirling are good - 33 folk on the course. The notes say to be careful about buying second hand as parts don't always fit between diffeent makes / styles and disease can be carried in old hives, but going over them with a blowtorch kills off any nasties.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:51:52 am »
Hi i've been looking around and saw quite a few hives on ebay but whilst speeking to a local keeper he had a friend who has given up so managed to get the hive and swarm of him, which is going to cost me £200. Got my suit and hive tool of ebay. The bee keeper has gone commercial so is going to teach me the ropes whilst i do some free work for him so sounds like the best deal i learn best practically. Good luck.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:41 am »
Hello Pottsie Take no notice of me Pottsie Old Lincolnshire folk lore NEVER buy bees :farmer:.They never do any good and usually clear off.What you say nobody will give me any .No but you can buy his rusty old bucket at the price and he will give you the bees as a bonus.So long as you haven't bought the bees
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS