Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: busy bees  (Read 8454 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: busy bees
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:40 pm »
Love it. I'll bear that in mind when I get mine!

I watch "Larkrise to Candleford" and I love the beekeeper lady, Queenie. She talks to her bees - you have to talk to them

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »
Love it. I'll bear that in mind when I get mine!

I watch "Larkrise to Candleford" and I love the beekeeper lady, Queenie. She talks to her bees - you have to talk to them
Yes, that's right.  You have to tell them if there is any illness or death in the family and also if there are any births.  Funnily enough I would do this and this is the wumman that doesn't believe in crystals  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:57:18 am »
Thanks wizard not superstiscous but will just  buy the hive for £200 and hopefully he will give me the bees for free? no sense in tempting fate!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 03:22:05 pm »
Hello Annie and potsie Me to I am the same, not superstitious I don't think.I don't walk under ladders but only because a brick falls down not up ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »
I have been keeping bees for nearly 5 years now.

I would recomend this beekeeping forum

www.beekeepingforum.co.uk

Thornes sell flat packed hives, but you are best waiting until their sales times to get "seconds" ones. All of mine are seconds as most people get. About £80 without frames or wax.

Or they do a very good package called "bees on a budget"

Or if you want to be a bit more modern, try the Omlet Beehaus  www.omlet.co.uk

Omelt also run training courses (I actualy run one) so I will have to recomend them! I also have a beehaus.

A nuc of bees will be about £100 - £150, but if you are not in a rush, try setting up a bait hive, you might get lucky and "catch" another keepers lost swarm!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 07:59:21 pm »
My local beekeeping society has a list for people wanting new swarms, so if you join your local beekeeping group, they may put you on a list and pass one on to you in the summer (when they swarm).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS