Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any hen houses made from pallet wood?  (Read 4433 times)

Herbert14

• Joined Aug 2014
Any hen houses made from pallet wood?
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:26:33 pm »
I was hopping to build a hen house for my new bantams but need a bit of insparation. I have done all the hard work of stripping the wood from the pallets (which Is back braking work) and just not sure quite how to build it yet. Any ideas and/or pictures welcome.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Any hen houses made from pallet wood?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:38:47 pm »
We have built a couple from wood stripped frompallets. Much warmer than the plastic one we bought and no condensation unlike the plastic.
The first doesn't have external nest boxes and the floor was pallet wood. It was to bring youngsters on so no problems re nest boxes but the muck gets trapped in the grooves between the wood.
The second one I love, warm, good external nest boxes and a solid ply sheet for the floor. So much easier to clean. There are natural small gaps where each wood meet but doesn't pose a problem in bad weather.

The roof is onduline to stop mites.

Wish I could upload piccies but not very iPad savvy ????

There are a good few designs on line to help. We are going to build a better one just to tweet access for cleaning, and sell the plastic one.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:34:06 am »
Just for information, you can get a really neat tool for stripping pallets, makes it easy. Can't remember what it's called ::) but you can google it.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:50:43 am »
Have you tried looking on pinterest? They often have lots of free plans for stuff like that. Or try the homestead survival website, also lots of free plans for diy stuff, often with pallets

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:05:23 am »
I like playing with pallet wood too but just a word of caution about the chemically treated ones - (I am sure you already know this) but I would check to make sure you birds wont be harmed by the chemicals used to preserve the re-usable ones.  It is stamped on the pallet and there are some nasty checmicals that dont want to be getting into the food chain..
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:19 am »
I'm in the middle of building a bantam house although not out of pallet wood
Mine is made from 2x2 timbers and tongue and groove ship lap so strong to last
We post pics
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:32:07 am »
I love re-using materials.
The first chicken hut I made from the non-rotten parts of an old shed and the second from some wood from a fence we took out. Both are easy to clean, but I would recommend external nest boxes if you can.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:53 am »
I like playing with pallet wood too but just a word of caution about the chemically treated ones - (I am sure you already know this) but I would check to make sure you birds wont be harmed by the chemicals used to preserve the re-usable ones.  It is stamped on the pallet and there are some nasty checmicals that dont want to be getting into the food chain..

Good point, I discovered this when I was first going to make beehives out of old pallets.

They should have a stamp on them somewhere displaying what treatment they have had.

HT = Heat treated

MB = MethyBromide treatment, an insecticide treatment which has now been banned (not good for beehives!)

DB = Debarked wood

The advice I found said avoid coloured pallets as they are normally used to transport chemicals and there may be a slight risk of spillage on them.

As long as they aren't stamped MB there shouldn't be any problems and even if they are its unlikely to create any great danger unless you burn, lick or chew them :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:35:57 am by Clansman »

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:50:30 pm »
Not made a hen shed out of Pallet wood but we built a goat shed and all of the outside walls where from Pallets

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=33598.msg345569#msg345569
Graham

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »
I've made several hen houses from pallet wood. To be honest it's a lot of work if you've got to break up the donor pallets and it's a bit of a pain assembling enough planks of the same size and/or thickness. I used to build them on a base also made from a fully boarded pallet that way the planks from your broken up pallets are the right length to fit the sides. It's cheap but it's time consuming compared to using new timber of plywood.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:32:27 pm »
I've made several hen houses from pallet wood. To be honest it's a lot of work if you've got to break up the donor pallets and it's a bit of a pain assembling enough planks of the same size and/or thickness. I used to build them on a base also made from a fully boarded pallet that way the planks from your broken up pallets are the right length to fit the sides. It's cheap but it's time consuming compared to using new timber of plywood.
True, but there is something to be said for the satisfaction of remodelling old pallets & the extra effort it takes gives a nice warm glow dont you think.   
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 07:11:36 pm »
True, but there is something to be said for the satisfaction of remodelling old pallets & the extra effort it takes gives a nice warm glow dont you think.   

,and the smug smile for having built a warm, sturdy hen coop that didn't cost a penny  :excited:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 07:39:20 pm »
I've made a few small coops for bantams got the idea from an old chap who had about 30 small coops and runs for his many bantams. As long as they are treated with preservative regularly they will last for many many years. Only costs were screws hinges and roofing felt so all in a very cheep housing for poultry.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:53 pm »
I do agree but sometimes I just haven't got time to mess about. I'm in need of a new henhouse now and it's got to house up to maybe 50 layers so building out of pallet wood just isn't an option this time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS