Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Harness  (Read 5731 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Harness
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:25:38 pm »
I'm looking at getting new harnesses for my girls. I'm looking at the Julius K9 power harness.
My big'un definitely needs a size 3 but my little'un comes in between size 2 and 3.
Does anyone have any experience of these harnesses? Do they come out large or small? Which do you think I should get?
I'm pretty sure she's stopped growing now (she's about a year and a half and I don't think she's grown any for a while now, unlike the other one that grows like a weed!) but I figure she'll fill out a bit as she gets older so I'm really not sure which one to go for?
Any ideas?

This is them on zooplus - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/julius_k9_harnesses/194482
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:58:22 pm by Bex »
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Harness
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:36:51 pm »
I'm ignorant, what's the harness for?

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:05:01 am »
For walking them :)

Rather than attaching the lead to a collar you attach it to a harness. Some think it can help prevent pulling. For me - my big dog has a very sensitive neck. She coughs and chokes at the slightest pressure on it so a harness is a must.
We are a second home to our smaller dog and she has always had a harness so makes sense to carry on. It's a bit too small now though hence the new one.

I've edited the original post with a link to the ones I'm looking at.

:)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:41:07 am »
Beware of using a harness on a young dog!!! It can push the shoulders out and cause arthritis in later years. A Halti, used sensitively is, I think a much better way.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »
 :(

I'll have to keep an eye on Lola then, I believe she's had one since puppyhood...

I've tried a halti on the big dog and she just wont stand it. I'm more worried about the damage to her throat with a collar at the moment

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »
Just spend a little time teaching your doggies not to pull rather than managing the pulling with harness/extending lead which IME are always attached to dogs that pull!

The best (ie. quickest and least confrontational) method is to use a collar and long rope in a loop, drop the loop, turn on your heel and walk the other way as soon as the dog pulls and within literally an hour every dog I have owned magically no longer pulls and everyone enjoys lead walks forever! Your dog wont cough as there will be no pressure on the neck.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:54:03 pm »
If your on facebook you could try Katherine (Brown Bee) she makes lovely collars, harnesses - bespoke to however you want it made - (wonky dogs, old, blind, delicate throats etc) I'm sure she would come up with something https://www.facebook.com/groups/250945664956708/ think she has a web page to but may not be very up to date!  :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:39:24 pm »
Dog games do a perfect fit harness where you can buy sections of the harness in different sizes. Nice comfy fleece too.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:56 am »
Thanks for the explaination. I looked up the harnesses and they looked quite exciting so I thoughgt maybe for something else. -my dog is a detection dog (retired) and has a harness for when he was working so there was no pressure round his neck to distract from his searching.
Also an X back for when he's pulling. But I'm training him to shafts now so need a new harness for this work.
He was a nightmare to train to walk to heel, tried everything, but in the end a halti helped a lot.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:30:57 pm »
I have Julius k9 harnesses for my lot :) I've got 2 IDC's for my Dalmatians, and an IDC belt harness for the Spaniels. I've had a standard Julius k9 for my collie before she passed away.

I would say if your dog is in between sizes, go up a size, at least then the under chest strap sits further away from the legs.

They are fab for grabbing hold quickly or helping them over obstacles, and helping with my elderly collie who sometimes had trouble getting up. 
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:45 pm »
Just spend a little time teaching your doggies not to pull rather than managing the pulling with harness/extending lead which IME are always attached to dogs that pull!

The best (ie. quickest and least confrontational) method is to use a collar and long rope in a loop, drop the loop, turn on your heel and walk the other way as soon as the dog pulls and within literally an hour every dog I have owned magically no longer pulls and everyone enjoys lead walks forever! Your dog wont cough as there will be no pressure on the neck.
Won't even take an hour!  One of mine took less than 15 minutes to convince he shouldn't pull on the lead. He hadn't been on lead much before moving down here as I had 20+ acres, so he had to learn.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:04:10 pm »
I hate harnesses, it gives the dog too much power to pull, as it's round their shoulders, whereas, a lead, if introduced correctly, stops them pulling.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:36 pm »
If a dog is taught not to pull when being walked then it doesn't matter if they are wearing a collar or a harness, they won't pull.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:32:56 am »
Get a Canny Collar or Halti to HELP you train him not to pull.  No harness or collar or other device will fix your problem.  The only solution is to re-train your dog.

I have a 7 month old puppy who is strong and excitable and will pull from time to time (he pulled all the time at the beginning), but I am working hard to keep his attention and remind him that pulling results in standing still or turning around, i.e. boring things.  My view is that I want a dog that, if the need arises, I can drop off at my mum's and she can look after and walk him.  She is 73.  Therefore he must never pull.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 01:16:41 pm »
I generally use halti's on mine, they very rarely pull, but it just gives me a bit more control. I have used harnesses but prefer the halti. 
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS