Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 lambs 2 dead and a retained placenta...  (Read 4257 times)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
4 lambs 2 dead and a retained placenta...
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:03 am »
Hi All,
Our largest Ewe had a twins yesterday and was pacing for a third when she popped out another 2 lambs both dead and had been for possibly a week maybe as the eyes were sunken in and both lambs were a tad smaller... thinking all was ok i think now she is retaining her placenta as stringy cord still trailing by a foot ...
How long should i leave her to extract naturally before call vet? ....
Thanks
Wayne ???

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: 4 lambs 2 dead and a retained placenta...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:52 am »

Sorry about the loss of your lambs.

Can't you call the vet and have a discussion over the phone. Mine are always happy to do that.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:10:59 am »
As she had dead lambs inside I'd give her a shot of Pen & Strep.  And Combivit too, if you have it. 

If the placenta doesn't come away in the next couple of days, you may need the vet to help.  And if she is anything other than bright and happy, and feeding and drinking well, herself, also get her to the vet.

But yes, if you are at all unsure, have a chat with the vet over the phone. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:24:32 am »
Will do just that.. thanks . keep thread posted.

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:00:07 pm »
Vet coming tomorrow if not dropped by morning... that would be 36hrs... Mum seems ok panting a bit but feeding the lucky 2 lambs..
Another Ewe had trips today 2 of these are really struggling to lock on teet so have boosted with powder colostrum and gonna be up all night watching these... a testing few days
 lets hope all is well tomorrow.... :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »
The ewe panting suggests she's in distress.  Morning vet visit might be pushing her luck.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:31:39 pm »
She should really have a jab of penicillin ASAP if she's had dead lambs inside her, panting not a good sign..... :fc:

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:12:42 pm »
All jabbed up now with Intramicine(were in France)antibiotic... still holding placenta though.
Vet not too worried at this stage about trailing cord etc.. it has dropped 6 inches since yesterday morning so may be peeling away?..
Mum seemed calmer this morning and Lambs are doing well....tired is not the word... as also had twins last night there doing well. 5 Ewes to go.... :)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »
Placenta has Dropped.... :thumbsup: Phew... we also have an oral solution to i guess flush her out its wombyl.. and the antibiotic is Histacline  i got it wrong.....for 5 days... a penicillin based product..
Lets hope all is well.
Thanks for posts and advice... 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
Good news, thanks for letting us know
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:48 pm »
Good news indeed, always follow these threads with a mix of dread and hope. So glad your news is good - sleep well!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS