Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb problems  (Read 7460 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: lamb problems
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 07:19:17 pm »
Over the years any lamb of ours that's not up and suckling quickly has been culled from the flock.  Still get the odd one that's slow to get going but they get a jacket, a feed of colostrum from a single-bearing ewe with plenty of milk and a mark on the card index that sees them sold as a store or ending up in the freezer. They almost always get going by the end of day two - just need a helping hand at first, especially if it's been a freezing night.  My job is to get all the lambs to live and if that means a bit of extra work then that's what I'm there for.  What am I going to do with my time otherwise - get a paper round?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: lamb problems
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:14 pm »
I think everyone is in violent agreement, actually  ;D

Everyone likes lambs that are up and sooking on their own within 30 minutes, and everyone would help a weakly lamb.  Everyone knows that newborns need colostrum within the first 2 hours so will get it into a lamb that's not doing it on its own.

And no-one would breed from ewes - or her lambs - if the lambs were always dopey and needed help.

It's lambing time!   :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS