Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pedigree Pigs  (Read 9815 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Pedigree Pigs
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:20:28 am »
I am trying to gather some information on Gloucester Old Spot pig bloodlines with a view to importing (once restrictions are lifted) registered boar and two gilts into my herd.  I have tried the relevant pig sites with no real success.  Would anyone on here know of any that might be for sale in the early part of next year.  I have Sambo (m) Princess (f) bloodlines.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.  HM

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Pedigree Pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:36:43 pm »
Head over to the GOS Breeders' Club - they have a for sale/wanted forum which looks really active, I'm sure you'll find some help there. It's at:

http://www.oldspots.org.uk/forum_forsale.htm

Hope this helps,

Dan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:52:11 pm »
Thanks Dan, have tried them, at present they dont seem to have what I am looking for, or perhaps I am just not looking in the right area.  Tried BPA as well, nothing much in the bloodlines I want.  Was hoping someone on here might know someone.  But thankyou for your really kind advice.  Much appreciated.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46:40 am »
if you join the old spot club they will give you all the contact details of members with pigs. using the forum you will find the bloodlines you are looking for. there is a breeding pattern of which are the desired bloodlines for your own to cross with but i havn't worked out yet what is what, as i just buy in at the moment. i am hoping to breed one of my gilts next year. but i think there are only 4 sire lines and 4 damm lines. in the latest news letter there were details of what is available in A I form. i will have a look tonight and get back to you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:23:23 pm »
Thats extremely kind, we have a Sambo boar and realised our mistake, apparently we need a Gerald for cyclic breeding. I also want gilts or sows to cross with my Sambo

Petunia

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:16:29 pm »
Hi HM.
        Please can you give us some information on Cyclic Breeding ?
                  Thanks in advance.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:46:23 am »
I have been Googling (as you do!), and found this link which explains all about cyclic breeding.

http://www.gosamerica.org/breed.cfm

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:16:34 am »
i'm glad you found that link. they don't appear to post it on the british gos site. i have a pamphlet lost somewhere in a mystery draw at home that is similar. if you want to follow the system exactly it may proove a little difficult to matchmake the lines you need at the timescale you need. i am thinking of trying AI next year as a way of getting the sire i want for my lady.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 10:17:09 am »
Dont you just love google  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:33:15 pm by Hilarysmum »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS