Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smallish size tractor - advice please  (Read 9434 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
smallish size tractor - advice please
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:50:09 am »
Hi
We've been looking at Tractor adverts - so confusing.
OH is talking 70-100 hp, 4wd. I want something smaller, for easier handling round the yard, small gates etc. we would be wanting a front loader, otherwise it would be for towing small trailer and grassland management, and when our 3yr old trees are big enough, for dragging logs out.
Land is very uneven / sloping, but few steep slopes.
What HP would you suggest? (4wd)

everytime we see an advert we have to 'google' to find the engine size, is there any way of tell from the 'model' numbers what the engine size is?
MF135 has been suggested, are there any more modern tractors of about that size (yr 2000>) 'Master' says he doesn't want to spend all his time repairing tractors.
Thanks

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: smallish size tractor - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:04:20 am »
That is a big jump from hand fertilising!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 12:32:39 am »
That is a big jump from hand fertilising!
if he's offering to buy -  :)  -

We do need 'something', I think a big tractor (80-100hp) is too much, maybe its just a man/size thing, but if we can end up making our own hay, that would save a few hundred a year.
We looked at some online last night, some over in York and Thirsk, but never having bought one I wouldn't know what questions to ask, what to look for.
But for 'my' field, the 5acre, I think between the BCS scythe, either a quad or mule and towable equipment I'd be happy, certainly easier than pulling /pushing a spreader round! He's brought a John Deere 'Gator' brochure home tonight. I wonder if we'll end up with both?

What are thoughts on 4wd tractors? I've read somewhere they make more of a mess of the land?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 12:47:24 am »
For finding out what tractor model has what hp, dimensions etc. I spend way too much time on the website tractordata.com

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 12:58:26 am »
For finding out what tractor model has what hp, dimensions etc. I spend way too much time on the website tractordata.com
Thats the one we look for when we see an advert that doesn't give engine size, but it would make life a lot easier if there was some sort of chart/basic database, sometimes it seems they just think of a number when naming 'models'.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:24:39 am »
Any full size tractor 35hp plus will be adequate for your needs ie ford dexta, mf 135, upwards. Remember just a few years back farmers used thes to run 100 acres. You have 5.

4wd is also something that everyone managed without for years.  It's main advantage is with loaders, as when you lift a heavy load on the front it obviously puts more weight on the front wheels and less on the back wheels meaning with 2wd a loss of traction is more likely. That is why you see loader tractors with big concrete weights on the back.

Farmers like the 4wd because they can crack on in wet sticky condition loading muck in fields where you would struggle with 2 wd.  For a smallholder...if you are in a yard or restrict your front loader work to dry conditions ,after all who wants to chew up there precious few acres then you should have no problems.

4wd is also more to go wrong and increases turning circle.

If you want a front loader...and they are handy power steering is a great advantage as with that extra weight on the front the steering becomes heavy.  Not many of your smaller tractors have this....but some do, there are kits for the mf 135 for example.

A good choice is the next size up , ie mf 165 size about 60hp,  many more of these tractors have power steering and they are that bit more sizeable for handling loaders.  Stick with mainstream tractors such as ford international David brown and mf,  the machines are will tested and robust to stand years of abuse by farmers. A few hours working 5 acres is nothing to them.

Advantages of a proper tractor is the cheapness and availability of implements for the back. I'd suggest things like a 3 or 4 ton trailer, transport box, topper, chain harrows, fert spinner...all can be picked up cheap 2nd hand on ebay or if your near York as you mention the collective sales they have at Morton approx. once a month.

A simple 1970s or 1980s 2wd tractor will need minimal maintenance, occasional squirt with a grease gun and oil change once a year and will be extremely useful (in my experience)

Other advantage you can often borrow implements from your local friendly farmer.

Hard part is buying one that's a good one when you don't know what you are looking at.

A quick look on ebay. There is an mf 250 4wd with loader £7500. A bit expensive because this really is the business 47hp.  A 165 with loader £3750...these are good simple tractors.  Mf 565 a later version of the 165 shares the same bomb proof engine and gearbox. In Northallerton a yellow mf 20 ...same as 135. Looks really good to me but hard to know without seeing it in the flesh...not dear with all the bits....I live in northallerton so you could even tempt me to,look at that with you.

I've mentioned massey ferguson only because I know them....there disadvantage is they are also very collectible so that keeps prices up for good ones...that said they hold or go up in value all the time....unlike quads and gators.

International 434. Or 454 are also good bomb proof tractors which don't command such high prices. Plenty of examples on ebay. Not that I'd say this is necessarily a good place to buy from...but definitely good for a look.

Hope this helps !

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:39:17 am by stufe35 »

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:47:19 am »
Have a look at Tractors.com, its an American website but it gives vital statistics of most tractors. They have also some good forums for older tractors.
 If you fancy a day out we are down the road from,http://www.cheffins.co.uk/machinery/
Not the cheapest place to buy but they have models up from very old, MF 135 right up to the modern stuff.
  We bought a compact second hand off of FB and quickly realised that it was far too small and bought at Dexter off of e-bay with a loader, which is still small but a lot more rugged. The benefit of buying an older model is that you can pick up attachment for them relatively cheap and the old farmers love talking about them. Just like a car try and buy from someone who has loved and maintained it and it will always hold its value.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 12:03:38 pm »
  <<Other advantage you can often borrow implements from your local friendly farmer>>

Beware!  Local friendly farmers don't stay friendly for long if you break or damage their equipment  :farmer: or appear to be taking advantage of their good nature  We no longer lend out anything, having been stung that way a few times before. Even if you pay for damage, the machinery still has to be repaired and will be out of use when it could be needed for the farmer to earn his livelihood.  Better to get someone, preferably a contractor, to do the work for you until you have your own machinery.  Second hand implements can be picked up for a fair price at mart sales, or bought new if you expect them to last for years.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
Thanks all
useful info, I'll show him this later
stufe35 - we actually have about 50acre altogether, mostly still rented out, the 5 acre is my goat field in front of the house, so it annoys me, and I want to tidy it up. Then there is about 4acre lower down that I'll want to tidy up as a hay field, then there is another 5 acre I'm taking back off the tenant, full of rushes etc. The little S'dexta I used to drive (many yrs ago) had a concrete block which hooked on the back. I'm convinced we don't need a 4wd, the front loader would be rarely used, unless in the future we go onto big bales, then I should think we would have a rear spike. we aren't really near York, more on the lancashire brder, it's just the nearest place all the tractors are advertised.
Thanks, your info, very useful a lot to think about.
We have a little old Kubota compact, I never felt safe on it. It doesn't run now and he won't even look at it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:14:23 am »
As usual he does his own thing, gone to York today to look round some dealers, still looking at 70-100hp. We had bee looking on Ebay but most are too far away to g and look at, one we did ask Q's about didn't bother getting back to us, it didn't make it's reserve.
I was wanting a JCB or John Deere utility vehicle but I don't suppose I'll get it, mainly for towing or shifting things round in the fields, cleaning pens out etc. I don't go out much so it would replace one of the vans, then we were told it would disappear rather quickly, anybody know if they are thief magnets like quads?.
Should start a new thread but anyone any advice on UTV's?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:15 pm »
Thief magnets?  They are round here >:( .

Useful posts, thank you all. :thumbsup:

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:51 pm »
There are one or two notoriously unscrupulous 2nd hand tractor dealers around york. I won't put any names here as I have never directly had any dealings with them, but make sure you google their trading name before you commit to buy anything.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:56:19 pm »
Would you believe it, he's come home saying 'we only need something up to about 65hp, 90 is massive!' I bit my tongue and didn't say 'Thats what I've been saying', but at least he's being sensible now. He's also been advised 4wd not always the best, so he's having a rethink on that as well. MF135 was suggested :-)
The thing that bothered him was - a lad once came to chain harrow the top field, (dragging it up the steepest bit of field we have), got himself stuck where the cattle have made a bit of a level/hollow, his dad came to drag him out, and they left the area complete mess, neither they nor the tenant who'd booked him, ever put it right. So OH decided small tractors can't do the job.

Chap OH has worked for near York has warned him the dealers he went to see are 'dodgy', and 'they are all in it together', I don't know what he means but doesn't sound like he'll be dealing with them anyway  :relief: .
Well, back to the drawing board, hopefully we'll find something a it closer to home more in keeping with its future workload.
BUT cleaning a goat pen out tonight ready for kidding pen, I kept thinking how much easier it would be to fill the back of a UTV than pushing barrow after barrow through a muddier and muddier gateway :-(.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:35:59 am »

BUT cleaning a goat pen out tonight ready for kidding pen, I kept thinking how much easier it would be to fill the back of a UTV than pushing barrow after barrow through a muddier and muddier gateway :-(.

Story of my life! Don't think I've seen the leather of my boots for mud since October!  ;D
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 10:01:59 pm »
I had a similar choice to make,  in the end I bought two tractors - a small Mitsubishi 4x4 21hp and a big old International 784 with loader.  Together they cost £3200,  so around what you'd pay for a MF.

Neither tractor has ever run out of power before it ran out of traction,  in fact I'm amazed at what the little Mitsubishi can do if I can keep the front wheels on the ground - I have 100kg of steel weights on the front but will be increasing that.  Most of this problem is of my own making,  I have made a "link box" to go on the back ( it's an old steel tool safe like you see on the back of council road works vans ) which I regularly load up with 300kg of stuff from animal feed to fenceposts.

In fact,  the link box is the single most used attachment,  it's great to be able to chuck a few fenceposts,  reel of wire netting,  some tools,  nails,  flask,  spade,  pick etc etc into it ,  most of which can stay there when it's parked up because it's waterproof when the lid's closed.

The same link box,  filled with sandbags,  sits on the back of the big tractor when I'm using the loader as a make-shift digger and need some more traction.  Note that loaders are not diggers - and I've bent my bucket a bit and had to rebuild a ram - but mines is old and I do take it easy with it now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS