Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry Feed  (Read 3552 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Poultry Feed
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:54:15 pm »
I will soon be introducing my 6 light sussex chicks to a new pen to put with the 3 hybrid hens I've already got. The chicks are not yet sexed so I am hoping for some for the pot keeping the others for eggs. The hybrid hens are being feed layers pellets as their main source of food with the grass and treats. The chicks haave been on chick crumbs. When i put them together should they be getting layers pellets or growers pellets or even the mixed poultry grain comprising wheat, cut corn and barley.
If I opt for the growers pellets over the layers pellets will the hybrids produce less eggs and vice versa if I go for the layers will the meat birds be smaller-
What a dilemma- advice please.

Declan

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Poultry Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »
Can't you keep them separate till you know which you are growing for meat?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:53 pm »
Feeding them all chick crumb/growers wont do any harm;you'll still get eggs; maybe even a few more than normal.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:22 am »
the only downside would be that if all the adults eat the chick feed it will cost your more, I think  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS