Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you dispatch?  (Read 3532 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
How do you dispatch?
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:18 pm »
Hi All
Just interested in what every body thinks, Ive had so much conflicting info, Ive come to the conclusion you just have to find the method that suits you but would be intersting to see the out come.

Maddox

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: How do you dispatch?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:34:06 pm »
Like you - many different bits of advice.  My solution involved getting next door neighbour's grandad to do it .... I think that was a bit of an avoidance tactic really.  But I will learn to draw and pluck this time.  All a bit new to me.

Does anyone have any advice on what age ducks can be dispatched?  Mine are definitely at casseroling stage and will no doubt die of old age before I get round to it ...

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:57 am »
not had to dispatch yet but i have a surrogate dad who lived on a farm all his life and he is going to do the dirty deed for me and teach me how to do it correct when the need arises...
Lavinia

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13:49 am »
you need to know how to kill and be sure that you can do it. hoping that a local will do the deed may result in a chuck suffering. you just have to do it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:21 pm »
I got hold of a Defra standard dispatcher today. It looks really easy to use. One step further to not having to ask others to do it.  :&>

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:50:46 am »
if its chickens we ring necks,taught how to do it when we were kids, every xmas we helped plucking team for pocket money, geese we use broomhandle 2 man job very quick as said by others you must be shown by someone with experience to avoid suffering.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:16 pm »
interesting to see air gun getting votes as ive often recomended it on here with some critisism, quick, clean ive killed all from quail to geese. got mine from a car boot, if it penatrates a bean tin at 2 feet its good enough. anyone interested ... you hold the bird upside down with its head on the soft ground, pistol into its chin aiming towards brain area, pellet passes though the top of head and into the ground leaving a hole to drain the blood. drop it into a cone to drain reload and give it another one.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
you do need to know the real size of there brain most of there head is eye socket so read up before attempting.

its the small area at the back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS