Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still in-calf?  (Read 6567 times)

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
Still in-calf?
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »
Hi, long-time reader, but first-time poster!

I was wondering how late in pregnancy a cow could re-absorb the embryo/foetus?

Our cow is due to have her second calf between 23 January and 6 March, based on the dates she was at the bull. She was PD'd in-calf in the autumn by the vet. She is out-wintered on reasonable silage only, with occasional barley, and has had a lick bucket for the last couple of weeks. I'm just questioning though if she's lost the calf as to my mind she looks a bit thinner, and there's no sign of even starting to bag up (calf was weaned a good 10 weeks ago). How would I know if she'd reabsorbed or aborted?

Thanks for your help.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Still in-calf?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:36 pm »
If she aborted just after or soon after your vet PD'd her you wouldnt really be able to see any massive signs apart from if she isnt looking in calf, is she bulling? and then the best thing is if you have doubts get a vet to scan her again?

It is possible that she can re-absorb the calf although in our dairy cows the most common thing when they try and absorb a calf late term is a small cat sized mummified calf which stays inside the cow and can get infected, they usually get culled after this as they dont come back into calf, not 100% sure why but must be pretty rank inside

Best thing to do if you have doubts is to get a vet or experienced farmer (unless you are one already!) to check her over, has she been bulling? is she slack round the back?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:04 pm »
An experienced farmer should be able to help, she should easily knock a calf by now.....
As said, most likely happened just after pd ing but you should have seen her bulling since.....
 :fc: hopefully she's just hiding it well  :fc:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:47:19 pm »
towards calving calf would drop and she may look thinner ..... 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:22:17 pm »
Our vet's advice was that once they are through the first three months of pregnancy, they are unlikely to lose a calf except in very exceptional / traumatic circumstances.

Ours don't bag up until a week before and, apart from Blizzard, who looks like she's going to birth a whale, they don't look hugely pregnant. She might just be hiding it - you don't want a huge calf anyway  :innocent:

Hope she's OK (and the calf).

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 01:37:55 pm »
You could just wait until March with the stress of unknown, watch her closely for signs of bulling (but you won't see them if calf is mummified) or getting the vet out to PD her again.
One way or another at least you'll know.
They don't all look that big and some don't bag up until the day before or even the same day! If she held to the end of bulling season she's still too far for bagging up, dropping pelvis etc.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:12:20 am »
I know vets can't always be 100% certain on dates but they could have been a bit more accurate when scanning her as they've given you a 6-7 week period over when she could calve so thats given you a lot of time to be watching & waiting for her to bag up ect. I would have thought if she;d have re-absorbed it would have been early pregnancy & if she'd have aborted you'd have definitely have seen a large foetus around somewhere, if she aborted late.

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 10:08:25 am »
Thanks to everyone for the advice. She wasn't scanned, it was the "vet's arm in her rear end" method! The dates are not the ones he gave, but projected based on the period she was with the bull. The vet felt that his examination was consistent with these dates. I'll just have to keep an eye on her.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
Our Bonnie had a calf yesterday - we thougt she was due in May. She didn't look big and didn't bag up until she was actually in labour - so they can certainly hide it  :)

:fc: that all is well.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 03:03:43 pm »
Great to hear your news Rosemary .... can't wait for my first calf ... which will be May hopefully!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:26:39 pm »
If the only reason you think she may have reabsorbed is that she doesn't look huge and isn't bagging up, then I'd stop worrying.

I've just written on another post that I've a 100% Jersey due on 16th March (5th calf) is only just thinking about starting to bag up now ;)

They can reabsorb/abort later in the pregnancy, and you don't always find anything.  But it's pretty uncommon, and I certainly wouldn't be worrying in your situation.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS