Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How often to worm?  (Read 3432 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
How often to worm?
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »

I've gotten hold of a small 60g pack of Flubenvet wormer, and whilst the instructions are very detailed on the dosage required, I can't find anything on how often the birds should be treated?

This is a precautionary measure, as we've seen no sign of worms. However, our birds are kept in a permanent run, so are on the same ground the whole time unfortunately.

Any idea how often we should repeat the treatment? 

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: How often to worm?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:03:07 pm »
We used to do ours twice a year, spring and autumn.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »
Rosemary, yours are free range - I have the same as Womble - mine are in a fixed run - should we worm more frequently?  How long after dosing with Flubenvet have you to withhold the eggs from sale?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:29:56 pm »

Annie - according to the blurb there is no egg withdrawal period.  We had planned to do ours over Christmas anyway, when they weren't laying. However, it was so cold that we were supplementing their diet with pasta and corn to help them keep warm...... and it seems the attention has brought them all back into lay again!! ::)

A 60g pack will last us an age with only four birds to treat - let me know if you want to share!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:55:03 pm »
Thanks, Womble, but I got distracted by a very lively puppy and bought some - it was only just under £14  and I have 9 chooks, and 4 ducks and aim to get more in the Spring, so I'll probably need it.  I bought some poultry spice as well as I've been meaning to do that fro a while.  I asked about the egg withdrawal because it says this on the website -
Animal Medicines can supply Flubenvet only if: the medicated feed is mixed at the house where the birds are kept and those birds and their eggs are not reared for sale or supply for consumption off the premises
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
I still have difficulty getting into my chicken shed (well the duck shed actually where the ex batts decided to live) so I can't check if there are eggs.  Any that are there must be only about 3 weeks at the most.  ouch pup biting my ear.  only way I can get anything done is have him on my knee but he squiggles.   ;) ;D ;D ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »

Yes, I read something like that, but I think it's to do with ensuring you get the correct dose, rather than anything else.  Does anyone know if there are any side-effects with Flubenvet? (for the birds, rather than the egg-eaters!).

Oh, and Annie - I know what you mean - I had a puppy squiggle on my lap once too  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:00:45 pm »
I've never noticed any side effects when we've used it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS