Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it always this blimmin' difficult?! (Castrating)  (Read 6400 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Re: Is it always this blimmin' difficult?! (Castrating)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:36 am »
Well we ended up bringing him in (we have plumbers in at the moment and the baby was up so couldn't just leave the house lol)
His little marbles seemed to of dropped since yesterday, maybe the warmth of the house helped?? I tried with a bit of twine which seemed to work until I tried getting the band on. In the end I managed by pushing the applicator towards him a bit harder and pushing on his tears to make sure they didn't get ringed.
So glad it's done now and I don't have to worry for another year!
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 11:55:52 am »
Well done!   :thumbsup:

And actually, yes, the warmth may have helped.   :thinking: I can just imagine BH's face as I bring all my little primitive boys in for a warm before they get their wee nuts ringed...  ::) :roflanim:   (We already get a black Wensey, a Manx X and a Shetland X BFL in the kitchen if we leave the back door open...  :love: :sheep:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 06:37:37 pm »
I must admit I used to get the vet to do my pygmy goat boys but helping at lambing time up at the local farm was a big learning curve - started by the farmer holding the lamb and giving me direction and after a few days got the tecnique. Now do it on my own and quite quickly - I do find the more you mess about the more agitated the lamb/kid gets, so the more practice you can get the better.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:13 pm »
I don't think kids are so tricky as lambs, they don't seem to pull them back in the same. :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS