Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rare Icelandic ewe lambs for sale  (Read 4936 times)

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
Rare Icelandic ewe lambs for sale
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »
For sale a small selection of ewe lambs , registered with papers born late may last year,and growing on,various colours.Born on Isla and been wintered on in Aberdeenshire.These sheep are curious characters and come to the bucket for a feed,love eating in all the rough areas and foraging in gauze and weeds,prefering this to good grass.They are all 2 horned with horns that curl round not up,and have lovely long fleece which is a dream for spinners and felters,it has 2 layers a inner soft layer and a outer long hair. They also make excellent lean meat,are prolific easy lambers and good mums when adults.These sheep arnt the biggest as lambs but put on a marvellous growth in there 2nd year after shearing and become quite a good size sheep,i have some of last years lambs that can be seen to show this.Been regularly wormed and feet trimmed.Also possibility of a shearling coloured ram to go if anyone interested.Message for pictures and more info price etc,Location HUNTLY, ABERDEENSHIRE, SCOTLAND

5135jimmy

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Rare Icelandic ewe lambs for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:31:38 am »
Hi.
I am just in the process of getting my rented field registered so I can begin to get some stock. I am looking for a couple of goats and an assortment of between 4 and 6 sheep. I would be interested in 2 ewe lambs if the price is right. I am down in the Scottish Borders. It will probably be mid February before I can get them if that would be ok just until I get my landless keeper number through. Can you let me know prices please. Many thanks.
Jimmy

orchidhill

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Ancrum ( Scottish Borders)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »
Hi you say you bought and wintered sheep are you a breeder or a dealer also what price are you looking for them

We have lovely Icelandic and Jocob sheep in the equally lovely Scottish Borders

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:40:52 am »
hi I bought them from Isla,i bought my original lambs from the same person last year as a stater fock as couldn't source any older ewes to breed with has have had to wait .Went over to Isla this October at great exspence,ferry fuel accomadation to collect a stock ram I bought and a couple more ewe lambs.The breeder was loosing grazing so I bought the handful of his this years ewe lambs as had room.I have been feeding them on sice and they have had add libb hay wormer vit jabs etc,so no not bought for profit proberbly loss as all our livestock,just do it for the love!I thought it would be nice to get the sheep to main land so easier for people to get to see them and hope that someone would want to start a new flock as there are not many in uk and are far and wide spread,and I know how hard it was to get my originals. I 1st saw the breed at the smallholders festival been shown and was curious to find out more as never seen any before,didnt realise how hard it would be.Thet are not rare in Iceland but would be very hard and exspensive to import and no one with a flock over willing to do it,they think it may no longer poss.No one gone down the AI line either.I want £100 each for them to cover costs and would like them to go to someone who is going to become a Icelandic lover and breeder as we need more stock in uk as the gene pool is very close.Lots of info on the Icelandic webb site.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:28:17 pm »
 :sunshine:

Good luck wiith your venture!

You may already be in contact with other breeders, but just saw this whilst browsing as I was curious to know how they looked - I appreciate it's a long way from both of you

www.icelandicsheepinwales.co.uk

The fact that they have no ewe lambs available shows how rare they are :wave:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 02:56:10 pm »
Hello from Caithness  :wave:  Can I ask how many ewes you have for sale ? OH and I have Jacobs currently but we've been talking about getting another breed with interesting fleece and hardy enough to deal with our weather. I had been thinking of Shetlands but have always loved Icelandic, since I had a skin as a pram rug/blanket when my first child was born 36 years ago. If available I would be very interested in the ram too so we could keep breeding.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

orchidhill

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:32:09 pm »
Been interesting reading the comments about Icelandic sheep.Although approximately 300 breeding ewes in Britain their lambs can be easily accessible at the right time of year. There are breeders from Orkney to the south of England Wales islay and the Western Isles. To find them please look at www.bisbg.org

and feel free to contact us. If buying please make sure you get pedigree paperwork at the same time.

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:57:25 pm »
Just to add I am a Icelandic breeder and have a prefix LOANHEAD,on the webb site joined last year.I havnt added any other information on the member page as only had few ewe lambs that were my original buy and nothing for sale at the time.Must get round to adding some detail and pictures.I received the annual return of 2013 when I joined which states there are 18 members of the British Icelandic breed society,whos flock return of breeding ewes that year added upto 128 ,that doesn't include ewe lambs retained.This doesn't include any reg sheep there maybe that are belonging to non members at that time.May I also add that by way of tel conversation to quite a few breeders they did not lamb there ewes always as due to ram shortage problems ,etc or bred non pure.Yes the lambs have papers and came from a reg breeder on ISLA,who is one of the longest,breeders of these type of sheep ,and I have visited the flock in person and seen the parents .
Amelia bought as one of my original ewe lambs from orchidhill,is doing well and hopefully in lamb.

orchidhill

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:31 pm »
Yes it is good to buy from someone like yourself a registered breeder a good little flock for someone at a very good price

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »
What's the meat like ???

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »
SOLD NOW,gone to a new home in Caithness,to start a new starter flock and hopefuly new members.Yes I beleave that the meat is very good tasty and lean,but not tried myself.Possibly will have ewe and ram lambs for sale later on in the year.Thanks for all the replys.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS