Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Losing my rose coloured spectacles because of a Fox :-((  (Read 6634 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Losing my rose coloured spectacles because of a Fox :-((
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:23:47 am »
We don't use electric fencing either - apparently there's a poultry farm near here where the fox knows it's an electric fence but the payoff is worth the brief pain so he goes over anyway.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:45 am »
We had built a Stalag Luft type hen run, half the size of a football pitch, deer fencing and festooned with barbed wire  but it still didn't keep the foxes out. (It is now to become a fruit cage)
Harry, electric fencing can be effective if you have mains electricity, many of us haven't. we did try a solar powered unit but foxy jumped over it, killed all the poultry and jumped back out.
The only way I have found is to free=range my dogs along with the poultry (touching wood as I type!) and make sure they are well secured in their houses before I go home. This time of year having sheep farmers as neighbours helps as they go out shooting before lambs appear.
Years ago, when I was young, a fox was a rare visitor and you were unlucky or careless if you lost your hens to them. Nowadays well meaning but misguided folk trap foxes in towns and cities and bring them into the countryside and just let them loose. The poor beggars don't know how to hunt and are driven to desperate measures to find food. A neighbour was woken one night last year at the sound of a van, looking out she saw a Transit van in the lane, the back was opened and four foxes were turfed out. With no McDonalds or Chinese takeaway in sight what can they do? Also hand reared cubs are a bloody nuisance!! Careful as folk are to make them wary of humans it just does not work, I have had foxes approach me in broad daylight, completely unafraid.
The fact is, there are just too many foxes around but try to explain this to the townee " but foxes belong in the country, they'll be happier" people ::)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:46 pm »
Years ago, when I was young, a fox was a rare visitor and you were unlucky or careless if you lost your hens to them.

We used to shoot them back then, they were vermin.

Nowadays they're seen as cute fluffy wild animals, the numbers have been allowed to grow and grow and people feed them!!

I blame Chris Packham!  ;D

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:27:58 pm »
So shoot Chris Packham :hungry: :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS