Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wool slippers?  (Read 4764 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Wool slippers?
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »
Has anyone got/used wool slippers? Do they keep your feet any warmer than fleece? I've seen some on ebay and I'm tempted to get them as my feet can get freezing.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Wool slippers?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:21:50 pm »
I have some down slippers - sold as hut boots or tent boots at most good climbers shops, little sleeping bags for your feet, they aren't very hard wearing but they keep your toes warm - very warm, can highly recommend if you have cold feet and don't move around very much

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »
Thank you I will have a look at them, usually my feet get the coldest when watching tv in the evenings, I have a sleeping bag over me but feet still get freezing cold.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
I'm wearing wool slippers now, as is BH.  I knit our own.

Yes, much warmer than anything else we've tried. 

I'm going to make a pair that's knitted and then felted next.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 04:59:45 pm »
I have the most amazing pair of oversocks, which came from, I think Lithuania, or was it Latvia, or Estonia?  Whoever came to Woolfest a few years back with their cosy products anyway.  I always muddle those countries.
They are knitted rather like your big jumper Sally, really thick tight yarn, closely knit on smallish needles.  I wear them over my normal socks, which are also wool, if it's chilly when I'm sitting in the evening, especially if I'm spinning which always seems to give me cold feet. As soon as I put those socks on I can feel the temp of my frozen feet start to rise  :sunshine:   If my legs are cold then I have a Shetland rug woven from my fleeces by Gwilan Teifi Mill

I also have a little electric shawl, peanuts from Aldi, which can be put over my feet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:01:22 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 05:08:46 pm »
Dan's mum knitted him wool slippers - they keep even his cold feet warm. The soles go though - for durability, I guess some kind of leather / rubber sole would help.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:13:19 pm »
Dan's mum knitted him wool slippers - they keep even his cold feet warm. The soles go though - for durability, I guess some kind of leather / rubber sole would help.

Aye, they last maybe 4-6 months, I reckon.  You can 'caulk' the soles with a rubberised product... Regia (the sock yarn people) make a latex you can use, I am told; it stops them being slippy on wooden floors too.  Someone else talked about getting something from a chandler's shop, but I can't now remember what the product was called.  Same thing they use on the outside of boats maybe?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:42:34 pm »

Aye, they last maybe 4-6 months, I reckon.  You can 'caulk' the soles with a rubberised product... Regia (the sock yarn people) make a latex you can use, I am told; it stops them being slippy on wooden floors too.  Someone else talked about getting something from a chandler's shop, but I can't now remember what the product was called.  Same thing they use on the outside of boats maybe?

I did wonder about some polish and he could do the floors and practice for the curling at the same time  ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:45 pm »
I've also got down tent slippers and they are fab..... I've been pretty precious about them, NOT wearing them outside just to pop out (as is my usual slipper habit) or walking about a lot eg housework, and they've lasted 3 years. They are the biz :-)

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »
i got down slippers from IKEA and they are really good just sling them in the washing machine when grubby, i love them

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 09:07:45 am »
To make woollen slippers last longer there is a company called joestoes that supply leather soles for slippers and shaped felt bits to sew on. They seem reasonably priced and can be used again if the uppers wear out. I haven't used them yet, but am thinking about woolly slippers for spinning as my sewing room is really quite cold!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 10:10:58 am »
Louise, I haven't heard of joestoes before and they have just the things i want. I have already placed an order, thanks  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS