Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanner's been!  (Read 10315 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Scanner's been!
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:59:03 pm »
We put 15 ewes to the tup this year - well, eight ewes and seven gimmers. The seven gimmers are expecting six sets of twins and one single; the eight ewes are expecting four sets of twins and four sets of triplets. Thirty three lambs  :o

I've only had one set of triplets before - last year. She raised all three herself and she's expecting twins this year; her twin sister, who had twins last year is going for triplets this year, along with a mother and daughter.

I feel a bit like someone's told me *I'm* expecting triplets  ;D

It's good though - gives me soemthing to worry about  ::)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Scanner's been!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »
Good Luck with all of them !! Hope all goes well. :fc: :knit:

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:38:26 pm »
Good luck for when the time comes!!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »
 :excited: good luck!!  you will have your hands full!  At least you know what to expect, I am still at the guessing stage as to who is in lamb.  Don't get mine scanned so I am gently feeling tummys and udders to see who might be expecting late Feb!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
Wow!

You'll better get some bottles and some goatsmilk!  ;D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »
Gosh, good luck with that!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:15 pm »
Wow, best of luck with all 33 of them!
 :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:19 pm »
I'm feeling a bit gobsmacked. Last year we had 22 lambs scanned from 13 to the tup, including one barren. We lost one lamb at birth so 21 from 13 so 161% - that was our best %.

Of course, the next trick now is to get them out safe and sound  :)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 09:27:38 pm »
Hope your scanner is better than ours last year our neighbour was due 5 sets of triplets and only one turned out to be a triplet! Needless to say he didn't use him again and he made lots more errors like that!! Just hope

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:35:04 pm »
Good luck! That is a lot of lambs, exciting times!

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:28 pm »
Book a week away Rosemary for after lambing time - your going to need it    :tired:

Its great news though.  :excited:  :fc:
Got plenty grass?

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 12:15:36 am »
 :wave: brilliant :thumbsup:  . ma maths not that good whats that about 215%  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :trophy:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:50:38 am »
Well done!  (I think...  :-\)

It's quite common for a ewe to scan for triplets but only produce two.  She'll reabsorb one sometimes.  But it's useful to know you may be looking for a third lamb when they do come to lambing - don't give her the usual amount of time to get on with it herself, once you can see she's started, get 'em all out pronto if she doesn't make good progress on her own.

On your ground and with your care, your older girls should be able to rear three, I'd have thought.  Especially as none of the ones scanned for three had triplets last year (or are gimmers.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:16 am »
I agree with Sally.  Triples tend to lamb early as everything runs out of room and can also get pretty tangled.  As soon as they show signs of lambing down I get 'em out quick.  Once had a lambing where one lamb was parked against the entrance to the birth canal with the other two behind it being rammed into it with every contraction.  Vet arrived in 15 minutes but still lost all the lambs. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 08:58:01 am »
Thanks for the advice - keep it coming. I had the vet to the one set of trips we had last year - first born fine; second not coming. I couldn't feel anything I recognised and, with a third lamb behind it, I didn't want to guddle about. Turned out it was the shoulder! Anyway, vet got it out and the third one and they were fine.

We've used the same scanner - this is our seventh year with her and she's never been wrong  :fc:

Here's a question. One single; a gimmer. Do I put her away with the hoggs and the two retirees with just hay or leave her with the twins, who'll be getting fed? My feeling is the former and hopefully, they'll all be too pregnant to notice her coming back into the flock for lambing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS