Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb becomming aggressive - what to do?  (Read 11674 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Ram lamb becomming aggressive - what to do?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 10:44:14 pm »
One of our neighbours took to petting one of the ram lambs from birth though we asked her not to.  He had to go: one butt to the back of the knees is never forgotten or forgiven
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Crbecky10

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »
Hi, we have this on our farm, always coming from petting them or being to friendly. Never pet him after he's tried to go for you! Castrating Rams when they are young (at birth) with a rubber ring stops all of this and all their instincts,  but taking them to the vet when they are older can leave them much the same

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:13 pm »
I have also found wethers getting aggressive if you go into them smelling of the ram!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:43 am »
My ram has had me on the floor out of the blue, I was turning and unbalanced so a small tap had me down.  I retaliated by throwing him down and sitting on him.  I have tipped him up again when I thought that he seemed to be thinking of getting upity.  I dont walk through the field without my stick, not for hitting him but as a marker behind me which he is not allowed past.

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 07:32:23 pm »
Thank you so many for thoughts, all rather bad news for poor Pontus though.!

One thing in his favour is that as an Ouessant ram he is so small I easily pick him up and demonstrate whose the boss.  Against this is that I have met a family who like mutton, and so the date is set.  As we keep sheep for fun, nothing more, we really do not need a ram, and so with your advice and experiences it is clear what is best to do.

I might keep a little joint for Easter lunch (if I can persuade my family that Pontus might be yummy!)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 07:39:45 pm »
As you have kids about don't mess around, please just get rid, one bang in the head and its a tragic accident.

Ok as he's an Ouessant I will change the words "one bang" for "many, repeated, sustained bangs over days or weeks"

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 08:17:46 pm »
A Ouessant ram reaches a very inconvenient knee height.  If they so desire they wll happily take you out and mess up your knee/ s for life. Having had a bottle reared ram lamb  handed to me as an undesireable I can tell you from experience that no amount of rolling them will stop the desire to charge once in their head. This particular ram charged me a good 10 times in a row  each time he was dumped on his back to no effect;  However after a short appointment with the vet and minus his nadgers hes much better behaved although still with a little glint in his eye for those for whom he has no respect. Don't have a problem with eating them either......
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS