Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Long-runnning generators  (Read 3034 times)

Borneo Bill

• Joined Oct 2014
Long-runnning generators
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:25:36 am »
Hello all,

Just wondering if any of you out there can recommend a decent generator for those awkward days when the power cuts out? Looking at running bare essentials (four freezers, computer/internet and a couple of lights). I could give you the kW jehovah, but being vaguely innumerate and techno allergic I've already forgotten! Hence the physical description!

Many thanks again!

dt400

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Long-runnning generators
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:25:09 pm »
Hi
we got a pramac px5000 before xmas it will run at 75% for over 15 hours, it, s been fantastic as we had no electric for over 2 days, had it back on for 8 hour then the transformer was hit by lighting off for a further 10 hours.
powered everything apart from the cooker.
You find the spec on line.

We got a good deal at HIS in inverness.

Borneo Bill

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:05:19 am »
That's just the job, in terms of info and place! VERY many thanks for this! Hope you don't have cause to use it too often!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:41 am »
I have a very quiet Hyundai 2000si suitcase genny , giving a 2.2 KW continuous running 230 voltage ,  running on petrol.
  It uses a 2 & 1/2  litre tank every 3 to 4 hours of running at around 3/4  load . It can be set to Eco mode ..on a light continuous load I seem to recall it is given as seven hours running time .

It is a bit special for the power out is a pure sine waveform  ( spike free ) which we need for our computers even though we do have a spike arrestor for each computer station set up .

I have run a separate line in from an outside waterproof ( IP65 ?) connection box affixed to the wall through the roof void and chased it into the walls,  to give us four standard double switched sockets ( in bright red ) One for the Modem at one end of the run , one for Alison's workstation 7 a light set up , one for the lounge for light & TV and one for the central heating plant  modification  ( the central heating is is now a plug in /out cable instead of being hard wired to the domestic supply . )

T'was a godsend a few months ago when lightning took out the whole area for a few days  and caused many spikes on the mains over the period where we could not trust the boards supply not to fry any more things in the home .
It took about six minutes to pull the genny out the garage  run the connecting cable out , switch the genny on ,plug in the modem , central heating and Al's workstation

Being able to have the central heating on was good , for I'm now disabled & a diabetic to boot .. being cold wrecks me every time .

Ours is an electric start as well as a manual pull cord . The electric start can be via a key  fob or actually going out and inserting /turning the key .

To make things easier for me the suitcase and all it's bits and bobs are enclosed on a four door'ed box with a removable lid on a four wheeled (100 mm dia wheels)  trolley .
 When it peeing it down with rain I can safely have it running outdoors well away from the bungalow & neighbours bungalows .
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:15:00 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Borneo Bill

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »
 :thumbsup: Such great information! Very useful indeed...it will certainly help us decide on the right one for us when we need it. Our place was out of power last week for three days, so this is focused feedback! Many thanks for your advice and tips!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS