Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Llanwenog  (Read 3643 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Llanwenog
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:00:43 pm »
I've just started preparing some llanwenog fleece that Back-in-Wellies gave me last year. What a delight. It's so easy to open the fibres and I can't wait to start spinning it tomorrow.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Llanwenog
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:00:14 am »
I look forward to hearing how the spinning goes. ????
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:54 am »
Oh that's good to hear! A friend has llanwenogs, I might buy a fleece ( although knowing me I will probably buy a sheep!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:22 am »
I've a friend with Llanwenogs, and I agree it's a nice fleece for spinning.  Takes dye well too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:20:51 am »
I've a friend with Llanwenogs, and I agree it's a nice fleece for spinning.  Takes dye well too.
It takes dye very well. Pity I didn't choose nicer colours  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 10:36:14 am »
It takes dye very well. Pity I didn't choose nicer colours  :(

They're growing more as we speak ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:48 pm »
.... same friend!    It's me with the Llanwenogs ..... put in your orders for fleeces now .....  :eyelashes:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
I carded six batts last night ready for spinning tomorrow at a workshop in Bala. I'm really looking forward to it. It's so light and fluffy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 01:35:55 am »
.... same friend!    It's me with the Llanwenogs ..... put in your orders for fleeces now .....  :eyelashes:

Actually I've two friends with Llanwenogs, both within 3 miles of me here.

It's good to hear of active flocks, though, especially as the breed has just been placed in the minority category on the new RBST Watchlist, as its numbers have fallen below the threshold.

Some Ravellers were asking would it help the breed if they bought fleece, so if you have fleeces to spare you may want to advertise them on Ravelry! 

(I told them that I was sure it would be appreciated, but that the best way to help any rare breed is to eat it!  I'm sure a very interesting debate will now ensue...;))

If you don't want to use Ravelry, there's also now a quite active Spinners in the UK group on Facebook.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:16 pm »
I'm spinning it up into a chunky weight (ish) but haven't plied it yet. I should finish the second bobbin tomorrow and can then ply and wash. It's lovely to handle and I would want to use it again. I have no problem with eating it as well (the meat, you understand. I'm not into fleece munching)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS