Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Obtaining orphaned GFD lambs  (Read 3142 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Obtaining orphaned GFD lambs
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:22:43 pm »
I am hoping to add 2 more ewes to my current small flock of 4 and thought I would get Greyface Dartmoors this time. They will live life as 'mowers' so not for breeding or slaughter. Ideally, I would like to hand rear orphaned lambs so that they become nice and easy for me to handle later on (as I have broken my back twice in recent years...horses!) and also for a bit of extra 'sheep' experience for me. I understand all about the  'hard work' involved and am not at all bothered about that side of things. A recent post on here was very helpful about that.  Is it acceptable for me to make contact with breeders of GFD's and let them know that I would be interested if they have such lambs? If not, I will buy some when they are a bit older. Or do breeders actually like to keep them and raise them themselves? I don't want to do the wrong thing re: etiquette. I live in the Basingstoke (Hampshire) area, so if anyone knows of contacts near to me I would be very grateful to know about them.
Many thanks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:44:50 pm by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Obtaining orphaned BFD lambs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »
BFD or GFD? GFD there is a very good facebook page for

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Re: Obtaining orphaned BFD lambs
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:44:20 pm »
Thankyou 'Me'. I do of course mean Greyfaced and have ammended my post. I knew I shouldn't have drunk that extra glass of wine!  I don't have a Facebook account though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:45:53 pm by Oopsiboughtasheep »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Obtaining orphaned GFD lambs
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:33:14 pm »
It would be worth creating one just for the forum I would think, keep on the wine

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:24:34 pm »
Have pm'd you :thumbsup:

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:40:49 pm »
Thankyou!

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 04:00:44 pm »
All my sheep were sick orphan lambs, but I wanted a Southdown as my great-grandfather used to have them in 1800s  I approached several Southdown breeders who were very helpful, so go ahead :) .  I adopted a southdown ewe who couldn't feed her lamb so took both of them.  Have to say it was much less work because I only had to bottle feed Toby and his mum did the rest.  Mum was very tame as she had been shown, she is a champion ewe, but I can't take the credit for that!

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:42:43 am »
Thank you for your encouragement Maureen and how lovely to follow the tradition set by your Great Grandfather with the Southdowns. Bramblecot has kindly provided me with helpful advice and contact information so hopefully I will be lucky with the Greyfaced Dartmoor lambs. Fingers crossed!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS