Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What not to put Ryeland ewes to  (Read 11903 times)

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
What not to put Ryeland ewes to
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:22:15 pm »
Hiya

I am after some advice please and so many of you have such good experience.  I am considering next years ram and keeping an eye out for what becomes available locally and I am wondering if anyone has any advice of which Rams are not suitable or sensible for Ryeland ewes?

Many thanks

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
Re: What not to put Ryeland ewes to
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29:04 pm »
Good evening,

I suppose it comes down to what you intend to do with the lambs.

If your wanting to sell the lambs into the market, you'd ideally need a commercial type to cross them with.

If your non to worried and intend to run them on for your own freezer etc then go for something you fancy I suppose?

Why not use a Ryeland tup?  ???
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:54 pm »
Hi 

Thanks for your answer.  Sorry I probably should have explained better.  Ideally I would like to put my coloured Ryelands on to a coloured Ryeland tup which would be the first option to increase my numbers. 

I also have Dorset Mules type sheep that I wish to breed possibly on commercial rams for meat.  I just wanted to make sure whatever Ram I source for my Dorsets would be suitable for my Ryelands as a back up in case the Ryeland tup didn't perform, got sick in the crucial weeks etc etc.

I hope this makes sense.

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:08:54 pm »
and I also should have said, I have been offered the use of some commercial rams and I look at their size (which remind me of my little pony) and my little ryelands and I am not sure that wouldn't result in lambing problems, hence the question of any breeds to avoid.

Thanks again.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »
Ah, that makes more sense  :D

I run a small flock of Ryelands and some Mules, I used a new Ryeland tup lamb this year so in order to sweep up any he missed and to ensure they were all covered I put the Ryeland ewes in with the mules and my Charolais tup for the last couple of week.

Charolais x Ryeland lambs are still a good cross to put though the local market as a last resort.

Everyone will have their own opinion and experiences but it will also depend on how experienced your ewes are, whether you intend to be full time/hands on at lambing and also their feeding up to lambing.

If your hoping for easier, outdoor low involvement lambing I wouldn't put a big Suffolk, Texel or Beltex type on them but that's just my little old opinion.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:03:37 pm »
I have (and others have aswel) used large breeds such as charolais on small breeds such as shetlands with great success

Its not as much about the size of the lamb born but the actual shape of the lamb born, I find pure bred ryeland lambs much more chunky and heavy shape than even lambs from a charolais, charmoise etc

The lambs for easy lambing should be wedge shaped, so narrow head and shoulders and a slippery lamb, if the lamb is woolier such as a hampshire down, suffolk, ryeland with a broad head and heavier bones it may have a higher chance of getting stuck than a lamb with less wool (so its slipperyer) narrow head and fine bones

Also remember that muscle gives and bone doesnt, a pure ryeland is heavier boned in relation to size than a charolais even though the charolais looks bigger as is more muscly

I have put my ewes to both charolais and charmoise tups this year as I dont want to pull any lambs and I want lambs that produce a good commercial carcass  :thumbsup:

Goodluck!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 08:07:21 pm »
Ladygrey,

The wedge shape, slippery lamb idea was what I was thinking but couldn't put it into sentences that made much sense so I deleted that part  :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »
Depends a bit on where in the country you are and what your lambing system is...

Charollais are not really suitable for outdoor lambing in the north of the country...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 11:53:44 pm »
If you know what you are doing you can use Charollais tups in outdoor lambing systems even in upland Cumbria.

I wouldn't go more than 50% Charollais (ie, I wouldn't use the Charollais tup on a part-Charollais ewe), and it's important to use a tup who isn't too bare and doesn't produce lambs which are too bare, but it can be done.

We used two Charollais tups, grandfather and grandson, over a period of five years, on our commercial sheep, lambing outdoors in upland Cumbria.  We have kept on many of their daughters who do a grand job in our flock.

If the weather is cold and wet at lambing time, then the lambs will benefit from the clear plastic jackets, but although the lambs have thinner fleece than their Texel and Dutch Texel x peers, they are so active they are warmed by getting up and getting mum's milk quickly, which means less of this type get brought in for de-chilling than do the Texel types. 

When we were first looking into Charollais tups we were told to buy one with a lot of wool on his head; this usually translates into having lambs who are woollier than some of this breed.  Both of our boys had thick carpet on their noodles, and in general their lambs, though thin-skinned, were not dangerously so.  We did get the odd pair that were really bare, generally from thinner-skinned mothers, so these families might get brought in if the weather was particularly evil.  But generally the very active lambs, having had an easy lambing, were up and at the milk bar very quickly, and did well.  If the weather was wet and cold we would jacket new-born lambs just to help them along.

I wouldn't have too many qualms about crossing Charollais onto Ryeland, in fact I think it would be a good mix.  And the Charollais on the Dorset Mules would give good commercial lambs too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:53:02 am »
Thank you all so much, its all really helpful.  I am down in Cornwall, so generally temperature wise it should be ok.  I am planning on hands off outdoor lambing but in my garden field - so closely watched with the option to bring them in if the weather was truly awful.   

So as I understand it, it is less about size and more about shape and fleece.  I can now go and look at the these commercial tups and see what head shape they have and their frame.

If I was just to chose something I like the look of, I do like the herdwick rams but the option of a free local commercial ram is probably more sensible.  I will find out if they have Charollais available locally too, they do look like big chaps.  What are Charollais like for handling and temperament, obviously accepting no ram should be trusted?

Thank you all again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:28:57 pm by Katrina »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »
The Charollais tups we've had have been very nice-natured.  Friendly with humans, actually quite soppy.  The grandpa, Perry, we bought as an aged tup, we could tip him up and do his feet in the field, no need to pen him or anything.  His grandson, Fred, was bred by the fella from whom we'd bought the older boy previously, and was perhaps over-handled and too tame, if anything.  (He was greedy and could be pushy for feed, but otherwise a soppy boy.)

Fred did like to be boss tup, Perry was never bothered, he seemed to get on with every other creature.

Some people do go on about heads, but in my experience heads are not the issue, except possibly in breeds where tup lambs have significant horn buds (Exmoor Horn breeders strive for no singles for this reason). 

Shoulders are very important, you don't want big square shoulders where you've a concern about lambing. 

Very muscley backends on Beltex types can also be an issue if the ewe's birth canal is not generous.

I've never had a head I couldn't get out; I have however had plenty of lambs blocked at the shoulders and also some at the hips.

Charollais always weigh heavier than they look; whether this is down to light bones or very dense muscle I've never investigated.  Either way, from what people have said about the Ryeland being heavy boned, I'd say it would be a good cross.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »
I have to say I think a Herdwick x Ryeland would be horrible! My nightmare sheep! Charlie seems a much more sensible suggestion to me

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:04:54 pm »
Texels and Beltex, having a wide skull, short neck and broad shoulders, are infamous around here for leading to lambing problems and lots of folks have moved back to Suffolks after poor survival rates from Charollais, Rouge and Vendeens in the last two Springs.  Our Southdowns are very similar in build to Ryelands and we've only ever bred them pure, except for one year when we experimented by putting the first-timers to our Badger Face (get an excellent butcher's lamb from the reverse cross).  Every single one rejected her lambs, not just for a day or two but completely.  Nothing we tried would get them to accept those lambs and in the end we had to bottle feed the lot.  No idea why, as Southdowns are normally excellent mothers.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »
Wow, I've never heard anyone talking Suffolk for increased survival! Are we talking NZ Suffolk or traditional? Also, IME Beltex lamb pretty well in the grand scheme of things on commercial ewes, a lot here use them on ewe lambs, very different approaches in the different areas
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:20:52 pm by Me »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:01 pm »
a lot here use {Beltex} on ewe lambs, very different approaches in the different areas

Yes, our neighbour does that and reports very easy lambing. He offered me a Beltex tup for our Manx Loaghtan hoggs on those grounds. We chickened out and went with a Shetland tup lamb instead for their first time (and ours), but I'd love to know if he was right or not.

It's too late for this year, but it's something we could consider next year. Having said that, we have a lovely Zwartble tup here now, who looks like a narrow shouldered slippery type of chap. He's nearer the size of a Shetland pony than a Shetland sheep though, and that does make me nervous.  Too many decisions - I'm kicking that one into the long grass until the autumn, and reading this thread with interest!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS