Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spoon or spirtle?  (Read 10778 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Spoon or spirtle?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:01 am »
We has an ash tree cut down last year and have tons of wood. How would you start to make one of these as I have never done any wood work before
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 12:02:11 pm »
We has an ash tree cut down last year and have tons of wood. How would you start to make one of these as I have never done any wood work before

Cut a branch to length, then quarter it.  If you have a wood turning lathe the whole thing can be made on that very quickly, if not you have to whittle (?sp) it.  You could make a simple pole lathe, but hardly worth it for one spirtle  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:44 pm »
Heresy maybe, but I don't think the choice of stirring implement makes much difference.

However, mixing up the ingredients in the pan the night before, and leaving it in the fridge overnight definitely does  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 12:28:00 pm »
Just so I have this clear... we're talking about a stick; probably made and imported from china used to stir a mash of grass seed (that could have come from anywhere) and water by someone who doesn;t actually live in scotland??

I had fishcakes this morning and I didn't stir them at all...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 12:38:20 pm »
Yer stirrin' noo though!  :-J

Is it no a Spurtle anyhoo?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:39:56 pm by Womble »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »
Ha ha, pgkevet. 

My gifted spurtle (you can spell it either way, I think, but actually the label on mine does spell it with a 'u', you're right, Womble) is made in the EU, at least.  And, similar to the one in Womble's pic, the handle end is shaped like an elongated Scotch thistle, which is a nice touch, I think.  It's beechwood, btw.

I eat porridge - always from the UK, most often but maybe not always Scottish - pretty much every morning year round, and live within 20 miles of the Scottish border.  :huff:   ;)   :-J

If stirring with a wooden stick gives a better result than stirring with a metal spoon, I can't see that location matters much!  :D

Thinking about it some more (not because it matters in the grand scheme of things, but because why not?), I do make my porridge with half milk half water, and it is less inclined to be lumpy as a result of that, I think.  So maybe a spirtle is more important for those who make their porridge with water only, especially perhaps if they use oatmeal rather than rolled oats.  (I mostly use part oatmeal, mostly rolled oats.)  I do find it more of a challenge to get it smooth if I make it from all oatmeal, especially if I use all water, no milk.  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 12:51:49 pm »
And on the subject of ingredients for porridge... I recently ran out of my usual oats, and all I could find on that occasion was Scott's Porage Oats, so I bought them.

As a child, my mother used to try to get me to eat porage, and I mostly found it unpleasant.  I quite liked the texture it made at the edges if you poured very hot milk over it, so I'd eat the edges if she did that, but always found the remainder rather unappealing. 

Later in life, I started making porridge with milk as a way of using more of the delicious straight-from-the-Guernsey organic milk on the farm where I was WWOOFing, and have had it for breakfast most days since.  (And it's always better if the milk is straight from the home cow, of course ;) )

I thought it was just one of those childhood faddy things that I'd not liked porage much when I was a wee'un.

Until I got those Scott's Porage Oats home... made my porage my usual way, something just not quite nice about it... something about the texture more than the taste...

I realised it was Scott's Porage Oats we'd had in the house when I was a child... 

Does anyone else find a big difference between the Scott's brand oats and others?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 02:12:26 pm »
I always use porridge oats.
1 of oats to 1 of milk & half water.
Stirred with a wooden spoon.

Once ready top with either sugar, jam or honey.
Never with salt.

Pot and spoon then filled with water to soak and make cleaning much easier.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »
I reckon using a spurtle matters.. if it didn't, someone wouldn't have invented it :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 05:01:00 pm »

Sally, there are two kinds of Scotts Porage oats - the mushy one and the Traditional, which has much more taste and texture. I'm too lazy to use actual oatmeal.   I think it's that company (and their snooty spelling of porridge)  which have promoted the idea of it being a particularly Scottish product, maybe to go with their name?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:46:41 am by Fleecewife »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »
I reckon using a spurtle matters.. if it didn't, someone wouldn't have invented it :D

Perhaps they were just too lazy to carve a spoon?  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:17 pm »
Sally, there are two kinds of Scotts Porage oats - the mushy one and the Traditional, which has much more taste and texture. I'm too lazy to use actual oatmeal.   I think it's that company (and their snooty spelling of porridge)  which have promoted the idea of it being a particularly Scottish product, maybe to go with their name?

I'm even more confused now!   ???  On their website, as well as the new-fangled 'So-Easy' water+go type, they talk about two varieties, 'Original' and 'Old-fashioned'  but give no clues as to the difference between them.  They both contain 100% Scottish Rolled Oats. ???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 01:45:36 am »
Sorry, I  have got the names crossed over.  One has bigger chunkier whole oat grains, squashed (old fashioned), the other (traditional) has small huskless oats (just checked the boxes).  So in one type you get all of the grain, the other you get a version the equivalent of white bread.  I've never tried the instant stuff, (nor ever ever reddy brek).

Better though are the jumbo oat flakes you can get from wholefood stores and some supermarkets.

Which kinds do you use Sally when you're not using proper oatmeal?  I think the oats themselves might make far more difference than the spirtle v spoon question.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:44 am »
I, too use the wholegrain oats from the health food shop. Tastier and cheaper than boxes of quick cook oats from the supermarket. Soaked overnight they don't take long to cook and you can read a chapter of your book whilst stirring. As for reddy brek, the least said the better!!!!
Now, for my spirtle or spurtle , how thick a piece of ash branch should I cut, what length, should I carve it green or wait for it to season? I have a tiny very sharp blade on my multi purpose knife (won in a raffle!) and fancy whittling a goose for the top.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 08:06:59 am »
I would have thought that it would warp and split if carved green.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS