Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - looking for a great tasting Butter - real butter!  (Read 1966 times)

Margery McGowan

• Joined May 2012
Help - looking for a great tasting Butter - real butter!
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:32:17 am »
Can anyone tell me where I can get a real butter that is great tasting?

I've tried various brands but can't find any with taste.  The closest I've come is with Graham's Dairy Unsalted Scottish Butter (green pack) which just happens to be produced quite locally.

Hope someone can help

Margery
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:59:15 pm by Dan »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Help - looking for a great tasking Butter - real butter!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:40:00 am »
Assuming making your own isn't an option (it's not hard, just fill a jamjar 1/3 with cream, shake till it resembles scrambled eggs and clears the glass, strain, wash and pat), one that we like when we have to buy some is Delamare's Goat Butter.  It doesn't taste in the slightest bit goaty, and of all the butters we've tried, it's our favourite shop-bought one. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:11 am »
I would try making your own. It is sooo simple. I just use double cream from the supermarket but if you had access to some 'real' cream or creamy milk then I am sure it would be even nicer.
You can make it with a food mixer, or in just a jar as Sally said, or in a plastic milk carton.
Whatever you use, just shake until it turns solid, which doesn't take long. If it's in a plastic milk carton just cut the carton to get the butter out. Save the buttermilk for making other things. Wash the butter throughly in water and then get it as dry as you can. I have some butter pats that work well. At this stage put in salt to your taste. It freezers well so don't worry about making too much.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:26:09 am »
Oops, I forgot to mention salt, didn't I!  And also to save the buttermilk - good catch, Sally!

If I am making salted (for someone else), I put it in as I begin the washing, because it helps to get the water to come out. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Help - looking for a great tasting Butter - real butter!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:04:16 pm »
Stichill Dairy near Kelso in the Scottish Borders does great cheese and also butter. Not sure how you would get hold of it, but they do sell at all the Farmer's Markets round here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS