Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dehydrators  (Read 5330 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Dehydrators
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »
Hello all For some time now I have been considering buying a dehydrator but don't seem to find anyone who has one to tell me how good or useless they are.Virgo do a nice looking one according to their spec:I have their steamer juicer which is a very usefull tool.Makes a grand imitation Ribena also a red currant version very tasty. :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dehydrators
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:35:45 pm »
What's it for? What are you going to dehydrate?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:10:55 pm »
Try searching some of the bushcraft forums for more info - a lot of folks use them for dehydrating meals for wilderness trips.

I made a simple one myself. It's basically an insulated wooden box, lined inside with tinfoil, and heated with an everyday incandescent light bulb. I also installed a 12V computer fan (optional, but I think it helps) that sucks a wee bit of fresh air in, and recirculates the rest to promote drying. The food is placed on wire cooling racks (the same as you use to cool cakes), or for liquids, in wooden trays covered with greaseproof paper. The key thing is to get the temperature right so that the food dries quickly but doesn't cook.

I've used mine successfully for drying fruit such as apple rings, and for making 'fruit leathers'. Dried slices of kiwi fruit are great - they taste just like candy.  Veggies such as mushrooms dehydrate down to nothing, and can then be added into stews etc later, whereupon they rehydrate and become like, well, mushrooms!!

So, sorry I can't recommend a brand or anything, but don't be put off trying with whatever DIY solution you have, whether that be an airing cupboard or even the parcel shelf of your car on a hot day!  Also, talking of solar dehydrators, here's a link, or even two that may be of use.

HTH!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:15:21 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:05:28 pm »
i bought one of these on impulse last year and i can honestly tell you it is one of the best impulse buys I've ever made.  I have stock of dried mushrooms, which on their own, probably paid for the price of the thing (less than £25) and i've made fruit leathers, dried bananas, you name it really - well worth the money

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:37:06 am »
Hello all Ive hung about a day or two to see what you thought.I think at the price of bought mushrooms the dehydrator must be worth while alone I and K is fond of dried fruit to snack while looking at Tv The Post didn't generate the interest I thought it might.Apple rings are definitely worth having they can be stored and used right up to next season in pies and crumbles and snacking.Who  did you buy for £25 - Its got to be a good buy since it works.I don't know if I dare make and eat biltong but being reasonably adventurous I shall have a go and if I stop posting you will think Silly old fool we told him not to lol :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:08 am »
Hello agen Continuing with the dehydrator project Has any one done apricots or peaches and nectarines There is a lot of herbs look at the price of Schwartz refill packs never mind the posh jar variety.Sage is easy to do with out a tool but look at all the other herbs.I use lots of sage and thyme in sausage and parsley it grows like twitch and is good in parsley sauce dried.I think the list is endless what can be done with a dehydrator and after reading your replies We are having one for sure. :farmer:

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »
i am toying with the idea of a dehydrater but /price /worth the money has cropped up so i am watching for replies to see if it is worth investing in one too.would love to know where the 25 £ one came from.   ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:03:04 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:03:57 pm »
thank you. will look at that in a bit .going to find a ice cream maker too to make butter mmmmm. does anyone know if you can make ice cream from goats milk and what does it taste like?

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »
There are a few on ebay at the moment - I can only see one that is auction (5 tray excalibur) presently at £87 finishes in 1 day if this helps anyone.  This one seems to usually retail at about £200.

I must admit they seem like a good idea.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »
Hey up Scatty Tibetan Cow! :farmer:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »
i'm sure the one i bought was from westfalia, here's the link:
http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/household/preserving_food_and_jam_making/preserving_food/dehydrating_/193811-food_dehydrator.htm
it's gone i7up to £29.99 but worth it for me anyway.

re the question about butter - you dont need an ice cream maker - your food processor will do perfectly - we've made it for a while now and it's quick and easy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS