Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducklings - hopefully  (Read 6721 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Ducklings - hopefully
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »
Lavinia, congratulations! Didnt realise how fast its come round that you'd be hatching already! (well, not you, but you know what I mean!)
Little Blue

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:54:34 pm »
Hi Annie

I have always loved ducks and really fancied a flock of my own as we have to buy our duck eggs.  We got some baby chicks earlier in the year and we ended up with 3 cockerels in them. We are fatting 2 for the pot, don't know how to go about selling them but you could put notices in the market place or on a local web site.....
Lavinia

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:51:12 pm »
As you know from what we posted in previous years, it is a dilemma! If you incubate or even let the birds get on with it you will eventually get too many boys. We tried to ignore it for a few weeks but decisions had to be made! so for this year I decided to get a humane dispatcher, just because I don't want to be in the podsition again where I have to ask people to do it for me! I don't know if I'll be able to use it myself but it's one step closer to dealing with it...
 :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 03:06:28 am »
I have always wanted to hatch eggs but I wouldn't know what to do with the chicks - how do you go about selling them?  I would like more hens as due to various events I'm down to 8 - all ex-batts except one LS, but there again I couldn't kill any cockerels I got as a result, and one is enough ;)

Annie you are more than welcome to borrow my incubator if you want a go. The problem is, as you said, if you end up with too many cockerels! I am hoping that my chooks go broody at some point this year. Out here in Thailand most of the houses have hens running around the place and they run amongst many cats and dogs with no problems that I can see. The funniest thing is though the cockerels make a different sound to ours, weird.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS