Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Canary Song  (Read 2902 times)

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
Canary Song
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »
Heres and odd one.

I have just been booked to fly to Toronto, Canada in November to judge a Roller Canary Singing Contest. Birds will be brought from as far afield as British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan and maybe from the USA to sing for me. Over a period of two days I will listen to 35 teams of four birds. each team given 30 minutes to produce their song.  The teams of four will be placed in front of me - about 5ft away (pretty daunting for birds which are still immature) and I shall listen to all four at once but pick out the various song passages from the individuals.

This is, one could say, a fairly esoteric occupation - there are very few breeders now - less than 100 in the UK and probably half that number in Canada.  The stronghold is Europe, particularly Germany, Holland, Belgium France and Italy.  The birds used to be called Hartz Mountain Rollers. The song is about 60% learned and 40% inherited.  Young birds in their first year learn their song from a Schoolmaster and are kept isolated from other birds in case they learn bum notes.  As an example - a novice kept his young birds with some goldfinches and they all learned goldfinch song which rendered them totally useless for competition.

The song:  The song is split into 12 parts called tours.  Each tour is named and has a value in points.  The song is sung entirely random so you have to listen carefully as some parts may only last a second or two.  Generally even the very best birds only sing 9 or 10 tours. Two are almost extinct.  These canaries, mostly yellow or green are quite tiny and very delicate.  Their song is soft and mellow.  Any loud, sharp or hard notes are faults.  They used to be called "The Parlour NIghtingale" but the nightingale has sharp and harsh notes which Roller breeders wince at.
This strange but gentle occupation has been carried out in England since the time of Elizabeth the 1st - earlier on the continent.  I predict it will disappear from the UK in 30 years or less.

As I shall be listening to up to 140 birds (some will be to nervous to sing) and  I can be sure to hear them in my head on the flight back to the UK.

I believe this will be the first time a British judge has  been asked to officiate in North America or Canada and I am quite excited about it.
Sadly, I have to return home the day after the contest, for I have family in Alberta - my daughter lives in Edmonton - for I cannot leave my own stock for too long.  Livestock keepers take few holidays and when we do something always dies.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Canary Song
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:04:40 pm »
Wow! It's a strange old world. Lovely way to spend some time though. Any video?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »
That's amazing.  What an honour to be asked to judge.

Have a fantastic time.  Would love to see some video.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:01:43 pm »
Yes - it is an honour and yes I am quite excited about it.

I rather doubt there will be a video, although I hope there is and or a sound tape or CD.  If there is I'll grab with both hands.
Its is also a very strange occupation in today's terms.  The song has been valued and judged unchanged for a very long time, starting in the remote villages of the Hartz mountains where people had time on their hands - especially in the winter- but now the fancy is in terminal decline for young people do not want to take up such a demanding and difficult past-time. Other species are bred to a standard, whatever that standard may be, using the attributes of both sexes.  With the Roller, only the cocks sing so the hens are always an unknown quantity.  Colour, size, shape, all count for nothing.  Only the song - they are singers not dancers.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »
I would love to hear them sing - it would be wonderful.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:58:16 am »
My brother, Jim, will be so envious of you! He has persuaded me to breed and exhibit rollers, sweet dears but so time consuming, I am carrying on though for his sake.
I would guess you are from Yorkshire, Lancashire or Birmingham as that seems to be where all the exhibitors come from, and a friendly, cheerful bunch they are!
I believe I stand alone down here in Devon, though as I do not a lot in competition it doesn't really matter. As I get older though I may devote more of my life to the fancy!
You will probably know my brother, Jim.
Have a lovely time and see a bit of the country apart from canaries!!

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:20:45 pm »
Hi Sylvia,

I am lot closer to you - I am in Surrey.  There was a lady living in Crediton -  Joan Littlejohn who had her birds from me but she was too far away to contest even at the one held in Surrey. (the London club use a venue in Wolverhampton now due to the high cost here) She may still be around - she was musical which is a help. 

I see how you have discovered just how time-consuming they are!

I have not contested for several years but may do so this season.

I will be unlikely to see anything of the country "In and out."  I know western Canada but have only seen it in winter under 4ft or more of snow.
Can't off the top of my head recall Jim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS