Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: freecycle  (Read 8107 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
freecycle
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:34 pm »
is anyone else on a local freecycle.
as far as i am concerned if you can get something you should be grateful for it,eg a washing machine ,not just one that works but askin for a top of range silver one is cheeky.
this takes the buscuit i think
is it just me or do others think the same i wouldnt have the nerve.

[freecyclewirral] WANTED: a bmw, preferably 09 plate, convertable aswell if poss
Sunday, 10 January, 2010 12:54

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: freecycle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:34:59 pm »
i'm not a fan of freecycle, don't like the format, the moderators are little hitlers too

and of course there are a few chancers

I think it would be better in a format like Gumtree or even a forum like this one.

it would soon be very easy to see who were the ones claiming every item in the hope to sell it at a car boot sale a few days later

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »
I tried to join our local one and got turned down!  No reason given either.  Having just moved I had (and still have) loads of things that I won't ever use, and thought it was a good way for it to be used.  Ah well, the barn is still brimming with 'stuff'.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:43:59 pm »
What? Do you get "black balled" or something? Do they take up references?

How bizarre.

Hey, maybe we shoudl try screening. What criteria coudl we use?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »
We were on our local one, but dad got fed up of the constand e-mails that didn't interest him, in saying that we did manage to find a Chicken coop on it,  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:20:37 pm »
Me and Sandy use it a lot - but in Scotland it's now called FREEGLE - can't remember what it stands for - something like freely given locally accessed but that's not quite right.  The moderators are much better and one of them is Linz who is on here I think.
edited to say I've also met LOADS of really nice people and made a few friends too!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:34:34 pm »
I think the benifits are good if you can get a deal, but if we advertised anything on freecycle, we would end up with a loas of Tinks, or chancers, due to the area close to where we live.   >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:16:42 pm »
The main benefit is it keeps stuff out of the landfill sites for a bit longer.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:31:14 pm »
I used to enjoy freecycle when the balance of posts was more giving. Now the majority of posts are wanted ads. My guess is that the post shown is just highlighting how silly some of them are.

kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:12 pm »
As far as a I know the moderators keep a close eye on wants and on who is receiving things. There was one person trading a few months ago and was banned from the list. and I'm not sure but I think there is another one on at the moment.  Let's face it if your washing machine packs in and you are out of work and have kids in the house it's little short of a disaster so why not ask if anyone is refitting their kitchen and has one spare.  I just take a fairly pragmatic view of the weird and outlandish requests - they're quite amusing I think.

sandy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 09:41:58 am »
Most of my house if full of freebies, charity shops or E Bay stuff, I did get a lot from freecycle butther is not much I want at the moment. I have noticed some people post a lot and request strange, expensive stuff, I gave away an MOT failure and was inundated and Like Anne, I have met some great people and got to know the area, that bit is fun and the added bonus of a nice present is fantastic, I love it, the next thing I shall post for is a Hi Fi for the dog room, the last one I had from free cycle is not working properly now and I cannot tune in the radio so I want another, I have lot's of tapes but they are slowly being eaten by the Hi FI so given up until I get a new/used one....I doubt I could afford a New one that is good enough...anyway..I am ramblingrambling

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »
I love freecycle and the new separatist freegle groups. I get a daily digest from 5 different groups, so can scan all the headlines with one glance. I hardly even notice the weird requests (nintendo WII, you wish!) any more. someone asked for a Ferrari, just to prove the point - good one!
All in all both groups are doing what it says on the tin, keeping stuff off landfill!
and re moderatoras being wee Hitlers, well, Chris...that's due to some silly guidelines from the US owners, so some have dicided to do their own thing, more local, more freedom. I've never heard from someone having been banned other than spammers, Julie, and we can really do without those! Maybe you got reported by mistake...I just had to ban someone yesterday from my very small yahoo group (for local help and info), as she was looking for emplyoees in Bangalore...some folks just join any group under the sun to get their own things across and don't care the least what the group is actually about (that would be spam, wouldn't it) &>

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 02:06:19 pm »
I thought it strange.  I tried to join the yahoo group, it asked why I wanted to join and then I was denied.

If anyone knows of someone in Devon looking for 'stuff' they are more than welcome to come and take a look at what I've got.
 :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:22 pm »

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:27 pm »
That's great, many thanks.

Will give them a go.
 :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS