Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jumper board - anyone used one?  (Read 4912 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Jumper board - anyone used one?
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:34:12 pm »
So, I have (almost) finished my winter project - a seamless jumper in Shetland wool (shop bought from Jamieson & Smith), but of course this type of wool definitely needs blocking. Don't really fancy pinning it all down onto the spare bedroom mattress. Was wondering if anyone has used a wooly/jumper board to block/stretch their knitted jumpers?

The only one in the UK for sale (also from Jamieson&Smith) comes in at 80 pounds, but OH reckons he could build me one... anyone seen any plans? Have googled it but nothing really has come up...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Jumper board - anyone used one?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »
I've not used one but I've seen photos of them in use. I can see the advantage of them, the least being that a jumper board won't leave uneven edges where the pins have pulled the jumper out. Are there no knitting groups on Facebook that you can ask on?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 11:09:22 pm »
Ella from J&S wrote a wonderful blog post about blocking her jumper, with lots of good pics...  It was reposted in Wovember if that helps? 

There's a "J&S lovers" group on Ravelry if you need more.

Do let us know how you get on!  I just hand-pat and stretch mine out on an drying rack, but I know it's not the same...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:03 am »
As this jumper has a nipped-in waistline it seems that I will need a specially constructed jumper board, but OH says he can make it...just not until later as we need to finish off the last two pens for kidding time end of February...

So this one will probably be done on the guestbed mattress...

I'll keep on looking for one too buy 2nd hand though...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:02 am »
I just use chipboard and LOTS of tacks!   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS