Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cider vinegar in water  (Read 3920 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Cider vinegar in water
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:58:46 pm »
Does anyone add this to their goat's water - if so what for and how much?

Thanks

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Cider vinegar in water
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:25:09 pm »
Hi,  My boss occasionally used to add a capfull of cider vinegar to the feed.  Usually for the heavy milker and not very often.

Hope that helps

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:50:58 am »
I do sometimes. In summer more than winter (warm water in winter anyway).

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:58:19 am »
My milking girl gets it in the soaking water for her sugar beet and I occasionally put a water bucket out with it in for the others so they can choose that or plain water.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 05:31:46 pm »
What is the idea of adding cider vinegar?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 08:23:44 am »
I have done it years ago, at shows, and I did it to disguise the fact that it was different water to what they got at home. Because water in different locations could have a different taste.
However haven't used it since we moved here, as goats have drunk much better we moved here. Plus, now I would probably use molasses to tempt them to drink rather than cider vinegar.

I have a vague recollection about cider vinegar being good at mating time, but I can't remember why now....

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 02:02:13 pm »

I have a vague recollection about cider vinegar being good at mating time, but I can't remember why now....

I think Pat Coleby said if you gave it to your billy it would increase the chances of female kids
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »
Ours get it every day in a bucket of warm Tea , most of them love it but a couple wont touch it
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 03:44:57 pm »
Cider vinegar will help balance the pH, and will help prevent the formation of urinary calculi. Especially if you feed a lot of sugar beet to the (castrated) boys.

If I put it in warm water the smell puts the goats off, but in the summer I often put a dash into their drinking water. Not for the kids though, as long as they are on milk.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 08:34:06 pm »
As I don't have castrated boys, I probably won't bother then. My girls don't drink much although they have warm water twice a day this time of year, cold in the summer, but every so often they surprise me and empty the bucket.

I have been known to give them a bit of black treacle in water to encourage them.

couann

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
I give our sheep some apple cider vinegar in their water .....it gives them some minerals they need and prevents worms! Works well .

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:38 pm »
I think it helps 'normalise' PH - thats why its recommended to humans too (in that sphere of education)

I cant see it not helping - (unless your feeding it raw)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:50:11 am »
Thanks all - will have to get some

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS