Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected lambs born today! Help!  (Read 6128 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Unexpected lambs born today! Help!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »
Congrats! My sheep don't start lambing until the beginning of April. I separate all ram lambs coming to the end of summer, so I can fatten em for mart. I don't castrate any of the ram lambs, I have been told it can taint the meat, but I've never had that.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 05:20:03 pm »
Thanks everyone for replies :)
We bought some rings and applicator, which we will do tomorrow or friday I think.
Is it normal for one lamb to be much smaller than the other? Little Nancy is noticeably smaller than Norman, and he seems to be feeding more and for longer than her. Norman is quite big and solid whereas Nancy is quite bone-y and delicate.
Obviously with NY now we can't go anywhere, but should we be supplementing her food at all? Even bottle feeding her alongside mothers milk to help her a bit?
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 06:10:43 pm »
As long as the ewe is happily standing for both of them to suckle and wee girl is bouncy and well, pee-ing/poo-ing etc as she should despite being small all should be well. There is a limited number of cotyledons in the uterus available for the lambs, and sometimes the distribution is uneven, leading to one big/normal sized and tiny lamb. Cotyledons is where the nutrients are channelled through form ewe to foetus. Unless there is something wrong with the small one they usually catch up and by midsummer you won't notice much a difference anymore. At least my experience. However if there is something not quite right with the wee lamb you are usually not able to get them to grow or even survive. I wouldn't bottle feed unless she is rejected by the ewe.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »
I love the idea of practising ringing with marbles in a sock. I feel this could be the basis for a new party game.
 :roflanim:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:22 pm »
When you can feel Norman's testicles well down in the sac is the time to ring him. Expect him to fall to the floor and writhe a bit. I cross my legs when I'm doing ours and I haven't got any!! ( testicles that is ;D ) Also, before you close the ring, make sure that both balls are well in front of the ring. Practice on small marbles in a sock. ;D

And make sure you don't trap a nipple. :o
Made me cross my arms :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS