Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected lambs born today! Help!  (Read 6127 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Unexpected lambs born today! Help!
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:32:52 pm »
We've returned home this evening to find our ewe 'Martha' has given birth to 2 beautiful babies, a girl and a boy. We weren't expecting lambs til mid february (going by the date we brought them home) so are a little unprepared!  :o
We've managed to catch Martha & her lambs and put them in a little pen bedded down with deep straw and some hay & food & water for Martha.
The lambs seem healthy and have seen them drinking.
We can go to Wynnstay tomorrow to get supplies.
We want to neuter the little boy (sorry Norman) so is it best to do that tomorrow? Also tail docking? (Our others hadn't been done but think we will with these babies.

These are our first ever lambs and we're so excited, just wish we had a bit more time to prepare!!

TIA
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Unexpected lambs born today! Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:39:35 pm »
Congratulations!
Sounds like you've done just the right thing, tails and boy bits will be fine for a couple of days, they need to be done within a week but I go more on size. A super single ill do at 1-2 days but little fellas nearer a week.

Only thing to watch out for is more lambing early........is it possible you may have a badly castrated ram lamb?

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »
We only have 1 ram and 2 ewes (tiny start out for us) and Darwin (our ram) was in with them the day we brought them all home on the 14th September.
She's always been much bigger than our other ewe, I very much doubt she is going to drop soon, if she is even in lamb :)

How long should we keep them enclosed for? The little girl is quite small :)
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:14:38 pm »
I keep mine in a small pen for a day or two depending on space and then into a bigger one with others for a day or two then outside weather permitting.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »
 :wave:Congratulations! What a lovely way to celebrate the festive season and  to welcome 2015.

You were fortunate in realising that they had arrived so that they have shelter tonight. I would be very wary of turning them out until they are stronger and suckling and even then they may need to be brought in for the nights. She must have had another boyfriend before Darwin! What the ewe lamb's name? Nancy by any chance??

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »
We're going to go up and check them again in a bit before bed.
Brandi- yes her name is Nancy, how did you guess lol
Norman & Nancy :D

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:42:00 pm »
 :sunshine: let's just say that my baking is 'more Norman than Nancy'!!

We're in Conwy so in relative terms not so very far from you.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 09:53:26 pm »
Congratulations! Every morning I go and check ours - expecting a little surprise (or two). Our lambs are not 'due' till end of March but I have my suspicions over a so called whether! As others have said I would wait until they are suckling well and also consider bringing in at night. We have a neighbour that lambs early (for this part of the world) and he tends to lose more lambs to foxes at this time of year.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:35 pm »
How lovely - iodine on navel/cord is a good practice if you have any or get some in for next time - if they a on clean bedding they should be fine - enjoy  :excited:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 10:22:51 pm »
What a lovely surprise! Just shows they don't need us at all  :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 08:28:10 am »
When you can feel Norman's testicles well down in the sac is the time to ring him. Expect him to fall to the floor and writhe a bit. I cross my legs when I'm doing ours and I haven't got any!! ( testicles that is ;D) Also, before you close the ring, make sure that both balls are well in front of the ring. Practice on small marbles in a sock. ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:06:10 am »
Congratulations! let us know how you get on with the ball chopping.... I would quite like to keep any pet lambs this year .... Which means possibly castrating.... But not sure I can bring myself to do it.......  Sounds like you are well set up, don't know what id do with a lambing this early... We don't have a barn.... Enjoy :-)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 10:38:54 am »
If you haven't been feeding the ewe introduce 18% protein ewe feed pellets slowly, to give the rumen time to adjust.  Start with 50g twice a day and increase to 500g in 50 g/day increments then reduce back down again after about 3/4 weeks, depending on her condition and your grazing. This will help milk production and keep her in reasonable condition.  Had you vaccinated her for clostridial diseases (usually done 4 weeks before lambing)?   I'd watch the other ewe like a hawk - what happened to one may have happened to the other.  Signs of imminent lambing include pawing the ground, going off into a corner or under a hedge, squatting without urinating or defacating, lying down with legs outstretched and clearly straining - all of these may happen before or after you see a waterbag appearing, or you may not see it at all.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 12:31:19 pm »
When you can feel Norman's testicles well down in the sac is the time to ring him. Expect him to fall to the floor and writhe a bit. I cross my legs when I'm doing ours and I haven't got any!! ( testicles that is ;D ) Also, before you close the ring, make sure that both balls are well in front of the ring. Practice on small marbles in a sock. ;D

And make sure you don't trap a nipple. :o

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:57 pm »
Congratulations, what a lovely surprise!  :sunshine:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS