Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I had to buy eggs today!  (Read 4466 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
I had to buy eggs today!
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »
First time in  one and a half years I had to buy in eggs! I can't blame my ducks  for preserving all their energy over the last 2 weeks (and I've still not seen a single eggs from the hens I got 6 weeks ago...), but I will definitely preserve in waterglass this summer when eggs are abundant!  :&>

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: I had to buy eggs today!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »
I have around 70 free range hens and at the moment I am getting the  grand total of 1 bantam egg per day - it was two until the blooming snow arrived.  Won't  see any eggs for a while, as all the hens are inside due to the deep snow.  I do without eggs if mine aren't laying.  I refuse to eat shop eggs, free range or not.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:38:57 pm »
well, I just do love the baking, lol
quiches and fried breakfasts are definitely off the menu for now  :&>

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

I have about 32 free range chooks and I am getting between 10 and 12 eggs a day. Nothing from the ducks though!

I am with you Roxy I refuse to buy eggs from a shop.

Anne

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »
We had to buy eggs too! Gutting!
The 3 girls were doing ok - reduced to 2 a day then 1 a day and then the snow came and they stopped! But no averaging 1 a day again!!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

sandy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »
My Duck was laying, it is relatively dry and clear of snow where she lays anyway due to a hug ugly conifer tree, she saw me take out her egg and has not lay ed since so I fear she may have found another hiding place...I posted that I thought she was not laying before, then found 44 edible eggs!! I have around 3-5 eggs from the Chickens and if we did have guests eating breakfast, I would have to buy....anyway, dare not take a breakfast accommodation in as my kitchen is full or hairy dogs!! (and hairless men ;))
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:11:16 am by sandy »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:22:24 pm »
Now you know what ducks are like, Sandy! In the summer it's Easter every day for me! :&>
I would do the test in the water glass before eating one from a nest and candle them, just in case she's been sitting.
I don't remember a single day without eggs last year and I had less birds... :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:09:32 pm »
we've got enough eggs, but Had to buy milk! poor goat - been in season, and very cantankerous...
Little Blue

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:04 am »
 ;) i think i must be lucky my hens are laying very well even the pol are looking ready to join in

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:10:35 am »
My hens (13) are producing around 3 eggs a day between them.  The ducks lay sporadically, the pig normally gets to those before I do.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 10:27:00 am »
I have 14 hens and have been lucky to get 5-7 eggs a day, most from the young ones that hatched last september. Would not touch shop bought. :chook:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 06:54:20 am »
5-7 eggs a day is pretty good for this weather.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05:43 am »
Kerstin I have had nothing off the ducks for many weeks now either. Out of the 11 hens I have I normally still get 5/6 eggs a day which I think is good. Especially since a couple of them are older and d o not lay every day anyway. I also worry that some of them lay while out and about for the day and I don't find them!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:00 pm »
i have 11 hens (2 are old ex bats and dont lay anymore) but from the remaining 9 i generally get betwen 5-7 eggs EVERY blooming day!  now i know i should be delighed but i ask you??  no doubt when everyone else's are in full lay, mine will be taking a break!

anyway, they all lay in the morning so they stay in their run till lunchtime and then i give them the run of the place till bed time - that way they get out and about and i dont have to spend half my day looking for eggs...seems to work for me

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:55:19 pm »
Laura, just let me know when yours are taking a break and you can have some of mine ;D i'm happy to have some of yours until mine are back in good form!
problem solved!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS