Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brooder Size  (Read 3137 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Brooder Size
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:31:00 pm »
What size of brooder should i use for upto 6, chicks for the first few days to a week ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Brooder Size
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:40:11 pm »
Mine are in a wooden box about 3ft x 3ft x 3ft very roughly, with  pop hole. The heat lamp hangs in one corner and he food and water is in the opposite one. Once they get their feet and are a bit stronger, they get out the pop hole and into the attached run. If they get cold, they go back to the lamp, whihc is on 24/7 to start. They stay in teh same accommodation for most of their early lives, first in the garage then outside once they're off heat.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:26 pm »
We use several sizes of plastic boxes from Ikea, when chicks get a bit larger we need to put up chicken wire on the sides so they cant jump out/fly up (learned the hard way). But I find the plastic boxes are very easy to clean.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:40:24 pm »
I was considering using my 3ft by 2ft ex-fishtank, will this be sutiable for small chicks? mine will be in the garage for the tiny stage, then into a heated shed till they are sold, or moved in with the rest of my flock.

Gecko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:31:55 am »
Mine are in a wooden box about 3ft x 3ft x 3ft very roughly, with  pop hole. The heat lamp hangs in one corner and he food and water is in the opposite one. Once they get their feet and are a bit stronger, they get out the pop hole and into the attached run. If they get cold, they go back to the lamp, whihc is on 24/7 to start. They stay in teh same accommodation for most of their early lives, first in the garage then outside once they're off heat.

Rosemary

How many chicks do you keep in a brooder this size. No problem with the size when they are day olds but when they are 4-6 weeks old i am concerned re the spacing. What do you recommend?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS