Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting Up  (Read 4966 times)

DeeDee

• Joined Jan 2010
Starting Up
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:22:38 pm »
Hi All

Micko's wife here. Got into "trouble" (he's such a well mannered lad!) from him for joining in discussions without formally introducing myself so here goes:

I'm currently working in the data analysis/ business performance world. Yes, I know, terrible isn't it! Needless to say,  a few years ago and I knew I needed to do something else. By chance (or was it something deeper?) I bought John Seymours self sufficiency book. Micko thought I was mad when I brought the book home, but within a few weeks it was his favourite bedtime reading! The seed was not only planted but beginning to grow. After much thought, we both came to the conclusion that we wanted to become Smallholders.

Smallholding is not big in Tyneside so there are not many opportunities to buy a suitable property with land. So we started to search for the "right" piece of land. Eventually we found a lovely spot, just right for us and with no clawback! It was being offered through auction - a really stressful experience but such a buzz. Someone behind us spent MANY hundreds of thousands on various parcels of land and there were we, with every penny we could muster and not able to afford anything our rich neighbour had bid for, hoping to get our dream piece of land. Needless to say, we didn't feel particularly confident. Our lot came up towards the end of the auction. We (I!) decided Micko would do the bidding and just as well. He was so nervous right up until our lot came up and I was completely cool. Then bidding started on "our" lot and what a change - he was so calm while my heart started racing and I went a rather fetching shade of purple! Unbelievably we got it, and within our budget.

The land was rented out until the end of last year. So on New Years Day there we were, standing in the middle of our 16 acres, freezing cold and up to our knees in snow and feeling FANTASTIC! We toasted our land with some mulled wine and our two rescue dogs raced around their big "garden" having a whale of a time (little do they know that will probably be the last time they'll be allowed to do that!).

So, here we are, "Starting Up". We have little experience to draw on but a huge amount of will and determination to make this work. Most importantly, we BOTH want this so much and are willing to put 100% into making it succeed - we're under no illusions that our journey will be easy! For a start, the snow has put the first bit of construction work we had planned (to prepare the track and polytunnel area) on hold - it was due to start this week!

We also love this forum, a mix between great advice from people who have already travelled the road we're starting on and lighthearted banter (and we reckon we're going to need a good sense of humour to cope with the trials and tribulations we'll face). We'd love to share our journey and experiences with you all - both newbies like us and those of you who have the experience we lack. And any advice will be VERY welcome!

Cheers - Dee

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Starting Up
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:26:01 pm »
What a fantastic introduction DeeDee.

Hello and welcome from snowy central Scotland.

I wish you the best of luck with your plans, and hope you keep us up to date.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:07:48 pm »
Fascinating reading!  Thank you..  My late husband and I bought a run down croft in 1994 but both of us were working full time so all we took on were chickens and rented out the fields.  Wish we'd had aforum like this to help us get going.  Never mind an acre is all I can manage on my own anyway.  Good luck and keep up the story.  Great reading!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:34:44 pm »
Good luck, you will enjoy the life far better than  the old 9-5 treadmill!! we just look after people with the B&B and I enjoy that.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
Well done on getting your land - and I look forward to hearing what happens next  lol!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 01:46:46 am »
Hello and welcome from me too  ;D
I'm excited for you ! It sounds fantastic, but so much work too.
I wish you all the best of luck and hope to hear more from you as things progress.
Karen x

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:12:20 am »
Hello and welcome  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:54:30 am »
Hi, and welcome, and good luck for the coming months and years.  Looking forward to hearing more ..  HM

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »
Hi and welcome! Look forward to sharing your adventures!

DeeDee

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »
Thanks all for the really warm welcome! We are very lucky to have found such a great site. Micko and I have started fighting for use of the laptop so we can log in and see what's happening!

After snowing lightly for most of yesterday, things have started to rapidly thaw today - snow drifts disappearing before our very eyes to be replaced by slush everywhere. Just had our dogs out for a walk and have slid around, trying to keep upright was a challenge! Now dogs are curled up in the warmest spots, on the sofa and nearest the fire (aint that the way!) sleeping off their exertions - happy mutts.

First installment of our starting up story will hopefully be "constructing the polytunnel". Goodness knows how that will go - we've read the books and taken advice but theres nowt like doing it for real - we're bracing ourselves for an interesting experience! We're going to hold a "construction party" (which loosely translated means using whatever means possible to get as many friends and relations as we can to foolishly volunteer to help us - I reckon plying them with drink before extracting the promise of assistance is a good approach!).

Thanks again for the lovely responses and expect me to crop up in other discussions as there a fair few which have  sparked my interest!

Cheers - Dee

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 05:34:25 pm »
Just don't ply them with drink immediately prior to putting up the tunnel  ;D

DeeDee

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:05 pm »
Good point Rosemary. Perhaps I'll get them to sign an agreement whilst they are "in their cups"!? (with the added provision not to drink for 24 hrs before "construction day" - no drunk helpers or or hangovers to deal with ). I know only too well what free flowing wine can make you agree to! A cunning plan unfolds!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »
Hello and welcome Mrs, That book has a lot to answer for... !
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:07 am »
Our local GP has an annual hedge cutting party.  Friends, neighbours, patients all inveigled into the party.  Afterwards she serves up loads of fattening food and alcohol.   It seems to work for her.

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:38:42 am »
Hi Dee and welcome from Brittany where the snow is currently 2ft deep !!

We're originally from Shields, btw. Hope all goes well for you.

cheers
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS