Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: raising two turkeys for next Christmas  (Read 8513 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
raising two turkeys for next Christmas
« on: December 23, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »
Hi,  I am thinking of raising two turkeys for next Christmas.

Where can I find out all I should know to do the job right and will Turkey's live with geese?

Any help please.

David

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: raising two turkeys for next Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:42:06 pm »
Did this once, never again, they were too tame and trusting! Didn't want to kill them, killed two lambs yesterday, pigs etc not a problem but the turkeys put the guilt on me big time!

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:15:55 pm »
No no don't tell me this. I'm so sorry for you.

But what did they taste like ?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:22:02 pm »
They have such warm, knowing eyes. This makes them hard to kill but get past that and they are delicious.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:32 pm »
Agree with the others.  We have reared 3 and they are still here  :-\ .
They follow us around like dogs and we made the mistake of naming them  :innocent:
We have sent goats, lambs and cattle off for slaughter and reared table birds and although it was hard it was nothing like the thought of killing the turkey's  ::)
Graham

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 12:55:42 am »
The turkeys annoyed me so I had less problem with killing them than I have with some of the ducks. I tried to keep mine separate from the other poultry (worried about blackhead) but they kept leaping over the fences anyway and then getting very distressed they couldn't work out how to get back so in the end I just opened up all the fences. So they mingled with cockerels, ducks and geese quite happily. I've a big area and the different poultry tends to keep itself to itself but the geese and turkeys were top of the bunch - just avoided each other.

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 11:47:55 am »
I reared 290 turkeys this year, they were farm fresh turkeys! They are great to work with but wouldn't have any thoughts on killng them as they are a pain in the ass when they are day olds so i am glad to see them all killed and hanging in the chiller. The taste is wonderful very different to a frozen turkey but you must hang the turkey in a chiller or a cold shed with the guts in it as this adds to the overall taste of the bird!!

Hope this helps you!!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »
Hi,

All info so far is grate. But I need to know more. When to buy, what to buy, what to feed and what do they need to live in. Will they hold there own with embden geese?

More please

David

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »
Xmas Eve Aldi, Turkey Crown, Stuffing, Cooker - £2.

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »
Hi Me,

I like to think that I could work up to a stander not down to a price. And my birds would have a very good life for 9 months and not just be shut up all day with 1000,00 other birds, never walking on grass or seeing the light of day.

Good luck

David

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 07:23:28 pm »
We buy day olds from Holly berry hatchery or known as Hocken Hull Turkeys, There is a list of all the makes and models of turkeys along with their prices!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 07:52:20 pm »
we buy 6 week old white hybrids in September.
feed turkey growers to kill for xmas, although we buy a few more and fattened until jan/feb to put in freezer.
this year we housed them in a 6ft x 4ft shed with chicken wire instead of plastic in the windows so they could stay inside for a couple of weeks, before having daytime freedom in the small paddock.
this year has been very easy as they have put themselves away every night and have had a cockerel sharing with them by his choice (research blackhead risk for turkeys and chickens)
we lost one turkey to an attack from a cat?? and have lost some from foxes in the past.
remember young turkeys are babies, niave and no sense of danger, despite their size.
geese may be a problem as a baby turkey wouldn't be able to defend itself if in an enclosed area. though ours are fine with hens.
in the past we have had turkeys completely free range during the day but beware they do get lost and need rounding up at night in this scenario.

this year we could only get layers pellets so finished at a lighter weight of 7kg liveweight and 3.5 kg dressed, instead of double that weight. still plenty for a family of 5 to get 3 big meals from. we get the "hybrid minis" which we have found to finish quicker than the standard white hybrids, and although they aren't a traditional breed they meat has always been  succulent.

we kill, pluck and hang with guts in for 5 days.

hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:59:08 pm by shygirl »

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 02:19:39 pm »
Hi Shygirl,

Thank you for all the advice, I could not ask for more.

Many thanks

David

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 08:19:02 pm »
Watch with any of your birds as I have 3 young turkeys and some of my hens attacked one. Thought I was going to lose her but a bit of tlc and removing them from the hens area into the garden and they are fine now. Pretty stupid birds though but fun to watch.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:44 am »
Hockenhull are good, yes. I believe you can get poults from Kelly Bronze as well.

Turkey poults really don't have much sense. They stay out in the rain and need to be herded in at night, but they are lovely, funny birds! I hate killing them, but far more, I hate killing geese who are clearly intellegent beings who completely understand your evil intent.  :-[ Consequently, I have 7 pet geese who lay me lovely, lovely eggs every spring.  :innocent:

I had Emdens and turkeys together with no problems at all, but they did have acres of space to keep apart if they chose.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS